1 day 1 tank dive Puerto, Mazatlan or Cabo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xgalanty

Registered
Reaction score
We are joining our family on a "Carnival Mexican Rivera Cruise" in December 2004.

Because of children and family obligations we can only schedule one (1) dive in one (1) of these ports.

If you could only dive 1 (or 2) tank dives in ONE OF THESE ports, which one locations would you recommend, and which dive spot?

Nov. 29th Puerto Vallarta 8 am to 10 pm
Nov. 30th Mazatlan 9 am to 6 pm
Nov. 31st Cabo San Lucas 8 am to 4 pm

We are both certified and have been diving for over 14 years, but never in these locations.

Also, any recommendations / Contact info on operators and dive spots in these locations.

Tough choice, but we have to make one.

Thanks,

Mark

Re:pV - I dont know if they are better than anybody else but I had a great dive with Pacific scuba when we did the Marrietas (sp?) Island.

Other two locations are notorious for less than stellar diving.Cabo is pretty decent and you wont have to go far for the diving. If its not too expensive just use the cruise operator. You will almost certainly do the same dive(Lands End) regardless of operator. I have been happy with Lands End Divers and they are right in Harbor at the Plaza las Glorias.

Brian:

Thanks for your post ...

I have narrowed it down to PV and Cabo.

I was leaning toward LOS ARCOS islands in PV because of its short 4 hour duration and because I was told the preserve has wounderful life, but you peak my interest in Cabo. Can you tell me why you think the diving would be better in Cabo? I was also told the water temp will be quite colder in Cabo in late December, any truth?

We love warm water diving!

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. Backtanner, thanks for your tip in PV.

MG

Your dive in Cabo will be five minutes from the harbor and is almost guaranteed to be a go. Not remarkable diving but definitely worth not one but two tanks.I am told viz can deteriorate easily in PV due to runoff. It is a major city with all that entails in terms of water quality. Not much of that in Cabo.Why not monitor conditions as you go and decide when you arrive.Besides there is not much else to do in Cabo during the day. Water is not that cold in Dec. We dove it in January of this year and I think it was around 72 degrees.

We did this cruise last year and really enjoyed Cabo. We did a private tour from Amigos Del Mar and were quite happy. Actually, we're going on a Christmas cruise and already booked with them for December 29. They are right at the plaza where you tender in from the cruise ships - not even a 5 minute walk. They meet you at the dock around 9am but we got in early and just walked to the shop. As stated above, the boat ride is about 5 minutes. We thoroughly enjoyed ours last year and look forward to December. Also, if you prepay via check, you get a 10% discount (the company is based in Los Angeles area).

We didn't like diving in PV as the boat ride is at least 45 minutes each way. This year we'll skip diving in PV (other 4 in party don't dive anyway).

This is good advice thank you.

Nothing else to do in Cabo. Kids will be comfortable with the cruise ship and kids camp ... and two seasoned divers who say dive Cabo, not PV.

I will check out the Cabo operator you both recommended.

It sounds like wet suits will be needed in Cabo

Thank you.

P.S. robstrash those are beautiful photos you posted on this site. Thanks for sharing them.

Mark

Given the choice between a 4 hour Los Arcos or 6 hour Mariettas', I would go for the 6 hour trip you won't regret it a bit. I like to see a lot of sealife when I dive. But if watching no less than 200 snorklers chase everything that moves is something that appeals to you then Los Arcos is the dive for you. If I were to go back, I would only do that site again as a warmup for some other less crowded site.

No, we took the Pride last year. We are on the NCL Star this Christmas.

I'm glad you like the pictures. I have a bunch more, but most of the good ones are just over 1 meg in size so I can't upload them. However, I must admit that 99% of the pix are taken by my wife, so I can't claim credit.

My wife and I are talking about maybe diving in PV as we would like to get 2 days of diving in and the diving in Acapulco and Ixtapa don't sound any good. That's why I'm back here looking what others have said (besides me).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom