1/4 Turn Revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"...the two great empires of Lilliput and Blefuscu. Which two mighty powers have, as I was going to tell you, been engaged in a most obstinate war for six-and-thirty moons past. It began upon the following occasion. It is allowed on all hands, that the primitive way of breaking eggs, before we eat them, was upon the larger end; but his present majesty’s grandfather, while he was a boy, going to eat an egg, and breaking it according to the ancient practice, happened to cut one of his fingers. Whereupon the emperor his father published an edict, commanding all his subjects, upon great penalties, to break the smaller end of their eggs. The people so highly resented this law, that our histories tell us, there have been six rebellions raised on that account; wherein one emperor lost his life, and another his crown."

Gulliver's Travels
Jonathan Swift

I'm old enough to remember getting that look if you didn't turn it back a1/4 lol. just here for the entertainment this thread will become. Personally I just open it all the way now, though it did take some retraining to actually break that 1/4 turn. Divers are kindler and gentler now with their equipment compared to the way we used to be I think from personal experience.

I'm old enough to remember getting that look if you didn't turn it back a1/4 lol. just here for the entertainment this thread will become. Personally I just open it all the way now, though it did take some retraining to actually break that 1/4 turn. Divers are kindler and gentler now with their equipment compared to the way we used to be I think from personal experience.
or is it that when people get older they don’t have the strength to crank on things so much.

It took me some time after the edict came down to fully open the cylinder valve, before stopping the 1/4 turn back. It was seeing someone from another buddy pair at depth with the SPG needle hitting zero due to being turned on 1/4 turn that persuaded me.

It was seeing someone from another buddy pair at depth with the SPG needle hitting zero due to being turned on 1/4 turn that persuaded me.
I had the same experience except I was the guy with the spg needle moving at 20m … after the dive, someone admitted he touched my tank to “make sure it was open” when I went back to grab something in the van …

I had the same experience except I was the guy with the spg needle moving at 20m … after the dive, someone admitted he touched my tank to “make sure it was open” when I went back to grab something in the van …
That is even worse than touching your equipment without your permission!

I know it does nothing, but the muscle memory for me is strong enough that I find all my valves cracked 1/4 turn back.
The only time I open the valve and leave it fully opened is when I'm demonstrating how to properly open the valve.

FF to 1:38

Did you catch it? Apparently this is why this controversy still exsists.
Never done this myself personally. Any of my training via PADI or TDI has never taught me this or even mentioned it once. I can't really see a practical reason to do it in the first place? The valves are designed to be opened or closed so why bother with the quarter turn?

Never done this myself personally. Any of my training via PADI or TDI has never taught me this or even mentioned it once. I can't really see a practical reason to do it in the first place? The valves are designed to be opened or closed so why bother with the quarter turn?
See the Alex Peirce video from earlier in the thread. It's a leftover from an older type of valve that could jam if left fully open.

Pillar-valve.jpg

Some might be confused about the difference between what PADI actually requires, and what an arbitrary dive center in Curacao thinks is good practice. It is not like YouTube videos are peer-reviewed, or vetted in any way, or approved by PADI. Take the content of that video with a grain of salt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom