Why are BP/W users more common on this board than at the beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what it seems to be about the BP/W evangelicals is that they really think that their 1 piece crotch strap and bladder is the cats meow. All of the arguments they give bash jacket style BC's. Born again divers, remember there is more than one configuration of BC.
Seems to me the main difference between your BP/W and a back inflate BC is the cheap 1 piece strap and an overpriced stamped plate that can be made of various materials.
Personally, I dive a back inflate BC, a Scubapro Knighthawk and really like it. I was trained in a jacket style, thought i liked it in class but tried a few others and ended up with the Knighthawk. IMHO, I get all the great features of a BC and the conveinence of a more comfortable strapping ststem that for me doesn't creep or move. a HP steel tank balances me perfectly on he surface and helps me drop lead. Now if someone asks me about it, I will tell them I like it, but then I also won't bash a jacket style or the BP/W. I may however tell them to stay away from certain models of BC's or to stay away from the righteous attitude of some of the BP/W guys, and perhaps warn someone that they may be confused with those jerks if they wear one. All in all there is just so much to consider when choosing a rig. It is unfortunate that atitude is a consideration, the stigma of a BP/W is bad enough to keep some willing experimenters from wanting to use it.

Why is it that occurance of BP/W users is so much heavier here than on the beach? Because the real divers get out and do it, they aren't so worried about making sure they have the latest and greatest. Just a simple psychographic difference.

Justin699:
Why is it that occurance of BP/W users is so much heavier here than on the beach? Because the real divers get out and do it, they aren't so worried about making sure they have the latest and greatest. Just a simple psychographic difference.
I must be not be real then since I have over 60 dives so far this year and just got out and dove today in my BPW - again. :wink:
FWIW - I own a Knighthawk that is now collecting dust.

Justin699:
I may however tell them to ... stay away from the righteous attitude of some of the BP/W guys, and perhaps warn someone that they may be confused with those jerks if they wear one.

black pots and kettles come to mind. stones and glass houses, too.

might come to mind for you, but they don't apply. I know that its virtually impossible for myself or anyone else here to be holier than the holier than thous.
And hey, i'm "cool" with any setup, wings, jackets, BI-BC, rebreather, snorkel or whatever. Perhaps you misunderstood. I'm sure that a BP/W setup is a solid rig, but just not built for everyone as some proclaim around here. Diversity is grand.

Justin, don't feed the trolls. They want you to disagree with them, as they take a perverse pleasure in it... They cannot be reasoned with.

meisburger:
Justin, don't feed the trolls. They want you to disagree with them, as they take a perverse pleasure in it... They cannot be reasoned with.
<snicker>

ScottZeagle:
Damn, I guess we are going to have to shelve this idea and go back to the drawing board...

yhst-95557112773151_1831_333223755

Good thing I have you guys to keep us straight, or we could lose serious market share!!!

:wink:
if you made them ungodly expensive then they would be all the rage next year, and probably get good reveiws here on scubaboard :D

novadiver:
if you made them ungodly expensive then they would be all the rage next year, and probably get good reveiws here on scubaboard :D

Especially if they were made of 500 denier black cordura and had six stainless steel D-rings. :)

cheers

Billy S.

Justin699:

This BP/W user has logged 73 dives so far in 2005 ... and you?

:wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom