7 Ft hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Believe it or not, I saw somebody do this recently ... :11:

No kidding ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

*cough cough* dang! There weren't supposed to be any other dive ops on that reef! Anyone who saw me with a long hose routed around my neck were experiencing an... optical illusion!

G'day all

New to the boards and find this topic interesting so here goes for first post:

I'm about to convert to the long hose. I've been convinced it's the way to go but won't be diving with anyone else who uses it - at least until I convert my buddy!

Has anyone had experience of diving with a buddy who doesn't use a long hose and are there any particular issues that require more care. Obviously OOA drills will be a missmatch for a while but I don't see any other serious problems.

Cheers

Johnno.

Tassie Diver:
G'day all

I'm about to convert to the long hose. I've been convinced it's the way to go but won't be diving with anyone else who uses it - at least until I convert my buddy!

Has anyone had experience of diving with a buddy who doesn't use a long hose and are there any particular issues that require more care. Obviously OOA drills will be a missmatch for a while but I don't see any other serious problems.

Cheers

Johnno.

There are no issues to address other than the obvious length of seperation when doing an air share drill. In most cases you will be face to face within arms reach of your buddy during an OOA drill or situation anyway. The 7' hose adds to your position options.

--Matt

Tassie Diver:
G'day all

Cheers

Johnno.
Just make sure your buddy knows what's going on and that they get the regulator that's in your mouth.

One of the things that's overlooked is what to do after you give them your reg. If your buddy is on your left side, they should hold a coil of the hose in their right hand. If your buddy is on the right side or is facing you, the hose should pass behind their neck. These help make sure that the reg does not get ripped from your buddy's mouth since they both provide some warning when there's tension on the hose. Oh, and keeping touch contact with the buddy is a good idea. Hold his arm.

Oh, and be sure you don't wear a snorkel :wink:

i also like to rout the 7 ft hose under my knife , don't even notice it on , work a cham!

I found diving mid day in Fiji in open water I had no use for a canister light. It is not possible to use for communication as the ambiant light is way too bright, plus with a steel backplate and a can light I was a bit too negative for my liking (only 140lbs diving in a shortie. When not using a can light I always tuck the longhose into the waistband of the harness, for me this works great. Of course when using the can light it gets routed under the canister.
I've seen it under the knife or shears it really depends on what size tanks you are wearing...how tall you are and what ever makes the least extra hose with a comfortable fit around your neck.

novadiver:
good day Jeff :)
So...you didn't comment on the guy that Bob mentioned...wrapping the hose around the neck. Did that guy learn (or mislearn) on the internet?

If your going to dig up an old thread...you should go for the good posts.

P.S. Interesting Sig line

JS1scuba:
... as such I do use a swivel on my second stage. The swivels I use are made by Kirby Morgan and only have one O-ring in them, while this adds one more o-ring to the system I am pretty confident that they wont fail, since the O-ring is not in a clamped down position. Some people swear against swivels - I have them on all my personal equipment.
Regardless of what people feel about a 7', 5' or whatever length primary hose, diving with a swivel on your second stage is a lot like diving with a scooter --->once you dive with one, you will NEVER want to dive again without it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom