Question for Poseidon owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChickenBone

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear any/all feedback from people that own a Poseidon reg (i did a search, and didn't really find what I was looking for).

The reason I ask is because today I purchased both a Jetstream and a Cyclon - the LDS that carries them is primarily a ScubaPro vendor and hasn't had much luck selling Poseidons. So, he gave me over 50% off the retail price to clear out his inventory. I've been in the market to buy new regs for a doubles rig I'm assembling, and Poseidon was one of many brands I've been researching. I've always considered them high quality regs, but I know some people find them quirky, due to their unique construction. Anyhow, I paid just over $500 for two brand new regs, and I couldn't pass that deal up. Any feedback would be great, as none of my friends own Poseidons.
Thank you.

oh yeah, one last question - is the Xstream that much better of a reg than the Jetstream or Cyclon?

Sounds like you got a great deal! I got a deal on an Xstream Dive last year and paid about $600. I've only run into a few other divers who used Poseidons and none (yet!) with an Xstream, but everyone has loved the one they had.

-Rob

ChickenBone:
I'm curious to hear any/all feedback from people that own a Poseidon reg (i did a search, and didn't really find what I was looking for).

The reason I ask is because today I purchased both a Jetstream and a Cyclon - the LDS that carries them is primarily a ScubaPro vendor and hasn't had much luck selling Poseidons. So, he gave me over 50% off the retail price to clear out his inventory. I've been in the market to buy new regs for a doubles rig I'm assembling, and Poseidon was one of many brands I've been researching. I've always considered them high quality regs, but I know some people find them quirky, due to their unique construction. Anyhow, I paid just over $500 for two brand new regs, and I couldn't pass that deal up. Any feedback would be great, as none of my friends own Poseidons.
Thank you.

oh yeah, one last question - is the Xstream that much better of a reg than the Jetstream or Cyclon?

I had an Xstream and it was a nice reg, I just sold it on ebay about a month ago. I use Atomic mainly and it was hard for me to get comfortable using the Poseidon. It gives you plenty of air but it just delivers it differently then my Atomic and I never felt comfortable using it. I don’t know about the Jetstream and the Cyclon but my Xstream was bad about bubble interference (small side exhaust). I think they needed to extend the exhaust out a bit farther for me (drove me crazy when I looked to my left). I have the M1 and a T1x with the M1 exhaust and never notice the Bubbles. I found the Xstream to not feel as natural as the Atomic. You will always have plenty of air though, they do hammer it out.

I own two Cyclons and have tried both the xstream and jetstream. Our shop carries all three and they sell like hotcakes. Maybe it's a Jersey thing I'm not sure. I found the Cyclon to be the best of the three, but I'm sure it's just a personal choice.
You got them for a steal, congrats and have fun. You got two high quality regs.

Dive Junky:
I own two Cyclons and have tried both the xstream and jetstream. Our shop carries all three and they sell like hotcakes. Maybe it's a Jersey thing I'm not sure. I found the Cyclon to be the best of the three, but I'm sure it's just a personal choice.
You got them for a steal, congrats and have fun. You got two high quality regs.

That's exactly what the lds owner said - they sell like crazy further north, but for whatever reason, not many people in the maryland area dive with them. I'm definitely excited - i walked into the shop expecting to buy a few DIN caps for my tanks, and walked out with a crazy deal on two regs. can't wait to try 'em out.

ChickenBone:

Thank you.

Chickenbone,

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the family of Poseidon owners. I choose life support equipment based on performance and reliability, pretty much without regard to cost, and I think Poseidon makes the best regs on the market. If I didn’t dive Xstreams, I’d be diving Jetstreams. And if I didn’t dive those, I’d dive with Atomic T1s or M1s. If I didn’t dive that, I’d dive something from Apeks.

All of my buddies dive with Jetstreams, so I’ve spent a good amount of time breathing from them during air sharing drills. The Jetstream in a very good and capable reg. As far as differences between the Jetstream and the Xstream, the Xstream has a slightly smoother feel to it and a slightly smoother valve opening. The second stage body of the Xstream is a little smaller, and is a little drier breathing because of the placement of the exhaust value compared to the placement on the Jetstream. Also, the Jetstream needs an (inexpensive) plastic cap on the first stage for very cold water (ice diving), while the Xstream doesn’t.

As far as quirky is concerned, that all depends on how good of a service tech you have working on them. Poseidons have to be tuned and flowed properly in order to breath properly. A good Poseidon tech is kind of hard to find unfortunately. It isn’t that they’re particularly hard to work on, it’s just that there are a few tricks and there’s definitely a learning curve involved. If a tech doesn’t work on many Poseidons, he or she generally isn’t going to be terrific at tuning them for that reason. Also, Poseidon sends the regs from the factory untuned, and they need to be tuned and flowed before first use. Of the people that have tried a Poseidon and not liked them, the odds are very very very good that they got ahold of one that was not tuned properly. Generally if they’re poorly tuned, they blast air at you so hard that the back of your throat hurts.

Use the purge value with a light touch, and remember to tilt your head to the right when clearing them. Good luck!

One more thing.

Poseidons are good regs on the surface, but they don’t really open up until you hit about thirty feet. Around one hundred feet is where you fall in love with them.

If all I did was warm water reef diving, I’d probably choose an Atomic.

Whoa... you got a heck of a deal.
You'll probably want to have the IP checked again after they're broken in.
Welcome to the club; you're about to become spoiled. :wink:
is the Xstream that much better of a reg than the Jetstream or Cyclon?
The Xstream's claim to fame is their 1st stages, the design is so downright outstanding that I'm going to have a cutaway drawing framed & hang it on the wall.
The "ball bearing" replacing a HP needle is the single most impressive feature.

Hi:
I have a jetstream and have dove with it on the wrecks in San Diego as well as in the warm tropical waters of Hawaii. It has to be the best reg. I have ever owned. I love it.
montyb

I have 2 xsteams's good reg's. I paid $320.00 each bought at cost. Leisure pro sells for $480.00. They are good for deep diving not good for strong currents do not exhale off gases.Are river has parts that the current moves at 12 knots. Used one today in 32 degree water, work good in the cold and very seldom freeflow.

Back
Top Bottom