Question for those divers here diving dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RogerL.

Registered
Reaction score
What are you using for undergarments? Are you happy with them? I'm getting into the dry thing and am trying to get setup with something that will cover me for diving in our area but perhaps will be suffient in San Diego or on the west coast. TIA, Roger

I start with a base layer -- a thin silk weight capaline. Then a thinsulate jumpsuit. I use wheezle 200g for California above 55 degrees and DUI 400g for below. Sometimes I will use the wheezle with another dufold shirt underneath for temps in the mid 50's on a long dive or repetitive diving. I like the thinsulate because when it gets wet, it will retain the majority of its insulation qualities. For socks I use two pair of wool socks or 400g booties depending on how I feel. For very cold water (in the 30's) I use one pair of wool and the 400g's.

Jerry

Roger, what kind of drysuit are you diving? I dive a DUI cf and can tolerate mid 50s with sweats. A little colder and I put some thermals on under the sweats. In the 30s and low to mid 40s, the 200g goes on, but I don't think you'll find temps that cold here or in San Diego.

RogerL.:
What are you using for undergarments? Are you happy with them? I'm getting into the dry thing and am trying to get setup with something that will cover me for diving in our area but perhaps will be suffient in San Diego or on the west coast. TIA, Roger

Hey Rog:

I dive in SoCal almost exclusively - and I dive a DUI 50/50 (essentially a robust Shell suit) with their Polartec 300 g Grinch wear. Never a problem with the cold. I've been in Pug's neighborhood with the same set up in the high 40's and been OK. Monterey at 51 - no worries. San Diego mid-50's - no problem. SoCal into the high 50's low 60's... been perfect.

If you're going any colder, you'll need to get into something a little warmer than the Polartec 300 - depending on your personal tollerance.

The DUI stuff insulates pretty well, as its not one thick layer of 300, but rather two 150 layers. I have the one piece bright friggen green jumper - quite grinchy. But it works. Its just a little long in the legs. My wife dives one of Janice's 300 one piece jobs with the UP vest and its perfect for her.

Tell us more about your suit plans.

---
Ken

The suit that I have is a Oceanic Flex trilam, so there's no 'R" value to it, like many have said it's just a bag. I have not had it in the water yet but I know I don't tolerate the cold as well as I did when I was young. My metabolism is all but shut down due to thyroid problems. Have any here ever used what Cabela's calls "Military Weight Polartec Power Dry" it's designed for hunters but uses the same tech for wicking moisture away from the body. Do you have any good (read cheaper) sourcesfor these under garments? Roger

DUI CF with a pair of Polartec 100 fleece "wading pants" I picked up from L.L. Bean (They have heel loops to prevent bunching up when donning suit). Torso wear is a Polartec 100 shirt (thumb loops for same reason as above). Additional layers on torso as required.

Trilam means you'll need some thermal protection. I don't know much about the Military Polartec, but Polartec makes diving undergarments too as Mo2vation said. I bought my 200g thinsulate on ebay for less than $100. The thinsulate will keep you relatively warm even if your suit leaks during the dive. You can get them as warm as 400g, but I don't think you'll need that for AZ or CA diving. 200g or 300g should be fine. The next time we'll be diving the lakes will be either the 1st or 2nd weekend of March (probably the 2nd). You're welcome to join us and try out my 200g to see if it's warm enough. I'll PM you when we know the day for sure.

RogerL.:
... Have any here ever used what Cabela's calls "Military Weight Polartec Power Dry" it's designed for hunters but uses the same tech for wicking moisture away from the body. Do you have any good (read cheaper) sources for these under garments? Roger
I'd suggest http://www.sportsmansguide.com - they have some dandy military "spin-offs", one of which is like a farmer john bottom. When getting tops, go for the "tall" selection, it'll give you more tail down over the back.
The heavy ECWCS military Polartec (aka "bear suit") is way bulky, but it will keep you warm.
You can find that stuff in military surplus stores, on ebay, or if you ask, "someone" will make a post in the classifieds section of some for sale. :eyebrow:
$50/set for L, down to $35 for S & the prices vary in between, with the larger sizes being harder to find & more expensive.

more closely. I had intended to ask you these questions personally a week ago, I'm suprised you found this post down here in "sunny AZ". Thanks again, Roger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom