Eagle project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats on starting your eagle scout project, I remember mine like it was yesterday. if there is anyway I can help shoot me a PM.

I posted this a few days ago, but it was the day before scubaboard "crashed" so the post got lost.

But as one of the other people said, how about an underwater navigation course or compass course. Our local quarry has one set up by the local scuba club.

It's made up of a course underwater which is interconnected with string near the bottom due to visbilitiy. However, the "course" is in mid-water depth and it's
hard to see the string that high. What they did was anchor "swim through"
course markers made of boxes, circles, or triangles of 2" or 3" PVC pipe. Seal
it right and it'll hold air and float. However these do have bouy floats at the
top of them to support them. I guess after people tug on them they will start
to leak, etc.

You can use different PVC shapes (box, cirlce, triangle) to signify different things. You can also paint them different colors for the same reason. you could also post a "sign" made of plastic or sheet aluminum at each marker either telling them what
compass direction to head to for the next site.

Make sure to set up a pattern that will be 4 90 degree right turns to create a square swim pattern and maybe 3 90 degree ones to create a triangle swim pattern. Of course you can use one "marker" for more than one course.

Seeing that Scouting uses hiking and compass navigation, this would be a great way to translate an above ground scouting acitivity underwater.

-mike

scubascout2000:
I love you guys! Thanks for all these great ideas! I'm starting to plan everything really soon and all the rest of the scouts in my troop are certified too, so they can use some of these too. when i start on something ill link and post what i did and used. would you guys be interested in picks of our dive trips and of my project when it happends?

thanks again,
James Young

I, for one, would love to pics and stuff of your prodject when it happens.

Don't forget to fill out all the project paperwork and have it approved before you start the actual work. My son had to do two projects because the first one was not preapproved. 40 hours is a lot of fun time under water.

Eagle Scout 1966

o MAN, thx for all the help everyone. still moving along getting plans together, paperwork, and finish final requirments!!! will have my eagle by the end of this summer. I will take plenty of pictures dont worry!! thx again,
-James

scubascout2000:
I love you guys! Thanks for all these great ideas! I'm starting to plan everything really soon and all the rest of the scouts in my troop are certified too, so they can use some of these too. when i start on something ill link and post what i did and used. would you guys be interested in picks of our dive trips and of my project when it happends?

thanks again,
James Young

Remember as Eagle Candidate, you are supposed to be leading others in the project not doing it all yourself.

I know. I have the support of all my fellow scouts plus the fact that everyone is scuba cert. is good too. Plus how can i dive by myself? I need a buddy! :-D Thx again everyone. But im trying to get good grades and get my permit so eagle is slowing down a bit! THX!
-S.S.

Back
Top Bottom