Trip Report Trip Report: Ramon's & Ambergris Caye Jan 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quick question. What's appropriate for tipping? $10/tank?
You'll have to be more specific about the situation, location, and people involved.

My wife needs a lot of help getting her tank on, and she has to take off her BC to get back aboard the boat. I don't need any help. She tips 50% more than I do.

When we are shore diving and renting tanks, we don't tip anyone.

Be more specific about the situation, location, and people involved.

You'll have to be more specific about the situation, location, and people involved.

My wife needs a lot of help getting her tank on, and she has to take off her BC to get back aboard the boat. I don't need any help. She tips 50% more than I do.

When we are shore diving and renting tanks, we don't tip anyone.

Be more specific about the situation, location, and people involved.
I'll be in Hopkins Bay. I am completely self sufficient. Don't touch my gear. I'll be hiring my own DM also to avoid coming up when someone hits 700 psi.

The Wed. - Wed. trick was for Bonaire; I don't know what the best days to use for Roatan are. I am surprised you're looking at over a grand, though. For my May 2021 roundtrip flight out of Nashville, TN to Roatan, going through Orbitz, I paid $649.09, then later decided a layover was too tight and had a change made, which cost another $38.20. That doesn't include checked bag fees.
I checked Bonaire today, Wednesday to Wednesday, same price as Saturday to Saturday. I will recheck it again on another day and see if changes.

Since you will have your own DM, I would tip $15/tank
that's fair as he/she won't have other customers to tip them.

_DSC5436.JPG

Our bungalow
_DSC5430.JPG

The swimming pool
_DSC5450.JPG

The indoor & outdoor restaurant
_DSC5438 b.jpg

The beach
_DSC5466.JPG

The dock, dive shop, and dive lockers
_DSC5472.JPG

The boat ride in the shallows past Turneffe Atoll, on the way to the Blue Hole
_DSC5228.JPG

_DSC5169.JPG

_DSC5275.JPG

_DSC5315.JPG

_DSC5127.JPG

_DSC5247.JPG

_DSC5131.JPG

Night dive
_DSC5422.JPG

You will see a lot of reef sharks and nurse sharks
_DSC5582.JPG

......and then my Nikon camera flooded, and I don't have any photos for you.

View attachment 702509

Our bungalow
View attachment 702511

The swimming pool
View attachment 702512

The indoor & outdoor restaurant
View attachment 702513

The beach
View attachment 702514

The dock, dive shop, and dive lockers
View attachment 702515

The boat ride in the shallows past Turneffe Atoll, on the way to the Blue Hole
View attachment 702516

View attachment 702517

View attachment 702518

View attachment 702519

View attachment 702520

View attachment 702521

View attachment 702522

Night dive
View attachment 702524

You will see a lot of reef sharks and nurse sharks
View attachment 702525

......and then my Nikon camera flooded, and I don't have any photos for you.
Nice photos. Thanks!!

I never recommend Ramons. It's expensive for what you get and if you want to enjoy the ambiance, you can buy a beer or a wine there.

I recommend places that have kitchenettes to divers. That way, you can fix yourself a quick egg or whatever before heading to the dive shop. If you have kids, then make them lunch. Some of the local restaurants may serve you enough for heated left overs. :)

I like Paradise Villas. Close to dive shops, restaurants, and grocery stores, near the Phoenix.

In comparison to Roatan, I'd say Roatan has better diving but Ambergris Caye is far more walkable and has a better topside life. If you're looking in the Caribbean and are willing to drive, Curacao and Puerto Rico have great diving.

Back
Top Bottom