What was the most influential development in scuba diving?

What technology (or piece of equipment) had largest impact on recreational diving?

• The SPG

• Mixed gases (nitrox)

• The dive computer

• BCD

• The octopus

• Training (OW, AOW, Wreck, Cave, Tech, etc)

• Thermal protection (wetsuits, drysuits)

• Digital photography/video

• Dive Travel

• Pee valve (late addition)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many of the world's navies' combat swimmers use pure O2 rebreathers, including US Navy SEALs. Most set a max depth at 20'/6M for a 1.6 PPO2 but most of the dive is shallower.

Of course they are in great physical condition and not working very hard (by their standards).
Almost like comparing a snorkel to scuba, :wink: amazing the progress there has been in CCRs since then, another 50 years every diver will use one.

I read somewhere the SEALs used one at around 1200FSW. Probably more if that's what got "let out"

Great album.
Seem them once at least 45 yrs ago

As for every diver will be using a CCR in 50 yrs time? Far too dangerous for divers who pay no attention/understanding his/her own PDC. If NDL is too complicated for them what is chance for them to decide if eg. all the sensors give different reading?

Almost like comparing a snorkel to scuba, :wink: amazing the progress there has been in CCRs since then, another 50 years every diver will use one.
Just due to the nature of our increasingly litigious society, reflected by the sheer number of late night personal injury legal ads -- myriad class action suits, covering everything from talc; air-bags; surgery-induced whiskey dick; rupturing implants, to invasive hernia mesh -- I don't anticipate the price of sophisticated life support systems, dropping anytime soon -- or in five decades . . .

another 50 years every diver will use one.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Don't get me wrong, I really like the low noise and constant buoyancy of CCRs, but I don't see any technology that will make them simple enough to compete with open circuit for the vast majority of recreational diving.

Consider the big picture. How many recreational divers really understand what their computer is displaying or remember what to do with that yellow regulator.

Just due to the nature of our increasingly litigious society, reflected by the sheer number of late night personal injury legal ads -- myriad class action suits, covering everything from talc; air-bags; surgery-induced whiskey dick; rupturing implants, to invasive hernia mesh -- I don't anticipate the price of sophisticated life support systems, dropping anytime soon . . .
50 years isn't anytime soon unless your a turtle. Lots can change, things we can't conceive of happen. Just look at what the microchip has done for CCRs. Who saw that 50 years ago?

Try diving without a SPG by calculating your planned depth and bottom time knowing you only have a single steel 72 cubic foot tank rated service pressure at 2250.

We didn't bother calculating anything in most cases. We just left the bottom at about 60'/minute when it started getting hard to breathe. We had plenty of warning, even with one of the few balanced first stage regulators of the time.

I knew plenty of people that never checked their dive watch. The routine was 2 Scuba dives/day with 2-4 hour surface interval used for lunch and some freediving.

Try diving without a SPG by calculating your planned depth and bottom time knowing you only have a single steel 72 cubic foot tank rated service pressure at 2250.
But you had a J-valve. No problem!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom