Question Right size for latex seal replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roberto Inzerillo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to replace (not myself personally though) a neoprene drysuit's latex neck seal, maybe with this one: Neck Seal Heavy Duty (Spare Part) - Seaskin Drysuits Shop - Purchase Drysuit Supplies

My neck's circumference measures approx 38cm, so I guess their Medium/Large size (37-47 cm) should be the one to go for, even though they state its diameter measures 80mm only (i.e. 25cm circumference), not stretched (I suppose).

What would you experienced divers suggest?

Is there any general rule/guideline for such sizings I could read?

Just did.
Still want to hear about that here too :)
in reality, the sizes change brand by brand, this is why I believe an email is a solution.

As a general rule, it is always better to buy something a bit smaller, since you can cut it - the opposite isn't true. Since in their size guide they have a neck size of 31/41cm for the extra small, I would go for that size.

[NOTE: they just say "neck size": what is it? Is it the circumference of the neck? close to the base, to the head or to the centre? Common sense would suggest it is the neck circumference at the centre, but it's always better to ask them and to be precise]

in reality, the sizes change brand by brand, this is why I believe an email is a solution.
Still no answer from Seaskin to my email :-(

As a general rule, it is always better to buy something a bit smaller, since you can cut it - the opposite isn't true. Since in their size guide they have a neck size of 31/41cm for the extra small, I would go for that size.
I tend to agree, the conical shape makes me suppose I can cut it down (hence increasing the diameter) to fit a larger neck.

But I really don't know if that's considered good practice ... I read everywhere cutting a latex seal may (with high probability) create very small irregularities that tend to promote local stresses and start tearing apart.

I even read that latex seals may be stretched a bit overnight in order to let them fit a larger diameter (they should maintain the larger form afterwards). Is this practice a good idea at all? I thought latex seals should not be overstretched and abused?!?

[NOTE: they just say "neck size": what is it? Is it the circumference of the neck? close to the base, to the head or to the centre? Common sense would suggest it is the neck circumference at the centre, but it's always better to ask them and to be precise]
I suppose it's the neck's middle line (across adam's apple?). Again, maybe other people who already buy and use such replacement parts can clarify what the market exactly means with those numbers.

I would suggest putting in a neck ring system and going to silicone or have a neoprene seal glued in, I find latex to be more trouble than it’s worth, it’s a good tough material but I’ve found them way to tight to start and stretch out way to fast so trimming is tricky.

:shakehead:... I find latex to be more trouble than it’s worth, it’s a good tough material but I’ve found them way to tight to start and stretch out way to fast so trimming is tricky.
Good to know.

Does it really stretch that much in time? How "fast"?

Good to know.

Does it really stretch that much in time? How "fast"?
It all depends, two years sometimes latex is susceptible to many environmental influences, they also tend to rot, but the are really tough.

I would suggest putting in a neck ring system and going to silicone or have a neoprene seal glued in
It's a second hand (and old) drysuit. I'm not going to invest too much on it, the neck ring system is maybe overkill on this one.

I'm considering gluing on it a neoprene one as an alternative ... but first, I'd like to try the latex, which I find may suit me best, especially for the neck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom