Lightweight alternative to Jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used all of the techish fins discussed here: SP Jets, OMS Slipstreams, Deep 6 Eddys, Apeks RK3s.

My OMS are defintely lighter than my Jets of the same size. I personally find them to be the best lighter option. They give me slightly more thrust, especially in the back kick.

I really dislike RK3s and found them to be too flexible. They are the fin of choice at my job and I was forced to wear them for a couple of months. I finally snuck my Jets back into rotation and no one has mentioned it so no more RK3s for me.

I ordered a pair of Blue Deep 6 Eddys and wanted to love them as this is a color that I have never been able to find in SP Jets. They were also too flexible for me. Based on everyone else's description of these fins, my experience does not seem common, but I disliked them enough to sell them.

YMMV,

Jackie

Other threads on this matter date back to 2008.

What's the latest lightweight alternative to Jet fins?

Older threads recommended the OMS Slipstream, but I just checked:
Slipstream 6.25 lbs. w/ springs
Jet 5.25 lbs. w/ springs

The lightest weight alternative to the SP Jet is the SP Go-Sport.

Weights of my fins in air:

Scubapro Jet Fin size XL - 6.5 pounds (spring straps added) (negative)
OMS Slipstream size XL - 5 pounds (slightly negative)
Deep Six Eddy Fin size L - 5 pounds (slightly negative)
Mares Avanti Quattro size Regular - 4.5 pounds (spring straps added) (slightly negative)
Aeris (Oceanic) Accel size Large - 3.5 pounds (neutral to buoyant)
Scubapro Go Sport size Large - 3.5 pounds (buoyant)

All weights as purchased except the Jet Fin and Quattro that have aftermarket spring straps.

James

OMS Slipstreams or DiveRite XTs for me.

I also have a set of Oceanic Accels they are super light but I don't find them very powerful.

Something to consider which I know goes against the mainstream opinion on Scubaboard but I cannot wear the Deep 6 Eddy Fins longer than 2-3 hours. They dig into the top of my foot causing massive foot cramps. On longer cave dives I had to actually take my fins off on deco. I used to think the foot pocket was very comfortable but the top of the fin pocket is very rigid and digs into the top of my foot. I sold mine. I'm not saying that everyone has that problem but I am just posting my experience.

My friend's "solution" for this was to cut the top.

46897776_2349735268594257_7940187434040426496_n.jpg

Deep 6 Eddy's. Just fin perfection.

I have used all of the techish fins discussed here: SP Jets, OMS Slipstreams, Deep 6 Eddys, Apeks RK3s.

My OMS are defintely lighter than my Jets of the same size. I personally find them to be the best lighter option. They give me slightly more thrust, especially in the back kick.

I really dislike RK3s and found them to be too flexible. They are the fin of choice at my job and I was forced to wear them for a couple of months. I finally snuck my Jets back into rotation and no one has mentioned it so no more RK3s for me.

I ordered a pair of Blue Deep 6 Eddys and wanted to love them as this is a color that I have never been able to find in SP Jets. They were also too flexible for me. Based on everyone else's description of these fins, my experience does not seem common, but I disliked them enough to sell them.

YMMV,

Jackie
My experience is the same, people love RK3s but I think they're too soft.

Personally I have strong legs and often dive in current with lots of gear. So I like to be able to kick hard against really stiff fins for power when needed. Personal preference. Some people love force fins or split fins.

I have the Eddys, Slipstreams and Jets. The OMS and Deep Six are lighter than the Scubapros. I found the foot pocket on the Deep Six fins very uncomfortable on long dives—I have high arches, the stiff foot pocket dug into my insteps (a couple of my dive buddies had the same problem). The OMS are my go to fins for most of my diving.

I found the foot pocket on the Deep Six fins very uncomfortable on long dives—I have high arches, the stiff foot pocket dug into my insteps (a couple of my dive buddies had the same problem).
I have the same problem with my Deep6 Eddys. High instep develops a blister after a couple of days of diving. Otherwise, a great lightweight yet stiff fin.

I got to try the Deep6 Eddy fins yesterday, thanks to my good friend @wetb4igetinthewater.

I have only used my Scubapro Jetfins, exclusively since about 2007....which is going on 15yrs.

Well...here is the quick review:

Pros: very light! Neutral-slightly sinking in freshwater. Very Stiff. Big foot pocket, good build quality, size L was very much the same size as my XL SP Jetfins.

Cons: My technique was way off with these compared to the Jetfins. The Eddy's had me doing a much more calf heavy action...and my right foot developed a pain in the center of the sole. It is still a bit sore this morning. I want to be clear, this does not seem to be an issue with the fins. Also, I am an open water diver, no wreck or cave diving for me. I say that because those involve very specific finning techniques that I did not try with these Eddy's...so...my calf use and foot pain could be from my technique or my DUI Rock Boots [which have a few mods to the laces area].

Otherwise, I believe I will likely buy a pair of these fins in the near future and strive to adapt myself to them. I gotta change!

I got to try the Deep6 Eddy fins yesterday, thanks to my good friend @wetb4igetinthewater.

I have only used my Scubapro Jetfins, exclusively since about 2007....which is going on 15yrs.

Well...here is the quick review:

Pros: very light! Neutral-slightly sinking in freshwater. Very Stiff. Big foot pocket, good build quality, size L was very much the same size as my XL SP Jetfins.

Cons: My technique was way off with these compared to the Jetfins. The Eddy's had me doing a much more calf heavy action...and my right foot developed a pain in the center of the sole. It is still a bit sore this morning. I want to be clear, this does not seem to be an issue with the fins. Also, I am an open water diver, no wreck or cave diving for me. I say that because those involve very specific finning techniques that I did not try with these Eddy's...so...my calf use and foot pain could be from my technique or my DUI Rock Boots [which have a few mods to the laces area].

Otherwise, I believe I will likely buy a pair of these fins in the near future and strive to adapt myself to them. I gotta change!
You‘ll end up back with the jets unless you want light for travel fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom