Question Can I dive with a perforated eardrum with the Pro-ear mask and Doc's Proplugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anamnesis

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi, my name is Brandon and I would like to get into scuba diving. I'm fairly fit, and I don't have any health related issues that would prevent me rom diving. I do have one issue though. I have a tear dropped shaped perforation in my eardrum.

When I was born, I put in my eardrums to drain fluid out. The right tube fell out on its own, the left had to be removed manually, or so I am told as I was an infant and don't know if that is actually what happened. Growing up, whenever I would go swimming, I would often get swimmers ear. In about 5th grade I started to wear swimming earplugs while swimming and the ear infections stopped. I really never thought anything about it until I was 20. I can't remember what I was doing, but I probably went to blow my nose real hard, and I felt and heard the air come out of my ear, and other people can hear the air coming out of my ear. I went to the doctor, and sure enough, I have had a hole in my left eardrum since, the one that had to be manually removed by doctors. . I guess growing up, the doctors never saw it because my ear canal is slightly curved, and it obstructed the view of the hole. I have been looking in to scuba diving since I was a teen, and never really could afford it because of family situations. Now, as an adult with adult money to pend of my own, I wanted to get certified. Well, I obviously know you can't dive with a hole in your eardrum, and earplugs like the one I wear to go swimming are also not an option. So in may of 2021, I had surgery, a tympanoplasty to be specific, to solve the issues so I could scuba dive... with no results. The graft did not take place, I never got an infection, and I certainly kept my ear dry when recovering. When I went for my second follow up appointment, I had concerns that the graft did not take place, because I could feel the airflow in my ear canal. Sure enough, the graft never took hold. The hole it seems is about the same size, and so far the only thing that amounted from the surgery is, from what I have noticed, is slight hearing loss in my left ear.

Moving forward as of now, I am 21 and I would still like to get into scuba diving, but surgery is not cheap, so I would like to avoid going through it again, especially if it means having to pay for another failed surgery. I have to pay the for it, even if it fails, because it is an optional surgery that has a chance to fail, and by going into the surgery I am agreeing to it, knowing that it has a chance to fail. So I have been doing some research, I've been looking at alternate methods that would allow me to scuba dive without having to go through surgery again, and the 2 I have come across is the 2 mentioned above. Obviously, it would be a major issue if I dive with the hole.

Pro-ear mask - The first option is the one that will keep my ears dry, or least that is what it is intended to do. Reviews on the item are mixed, works for some and doesn't for others. I don't see myself having any issues wearing the funky looking mask, if it allows me to scuba dive, than I will take looking like a pinhead.
Doc's Proplugs - The vented earplug intend to help people that have trouble equalizing. Obviously, being vented, they will allow some water in. I have heard few people say that a few drops of water get in your ear canal below 30ft, but some people say that your entire ear canal will be filled with water. a small amount of water in my ear canal is fine, because water only ever gets in my middle ear if the canal flood. I will go swimming without earplugs if I know I am not goanna be submerging in the eater, or not going down that deep.

Another solution that I was wondering if it would work to keep the ear dry is if I use both at the same time, to maximize the results, and keep my ear totally dry. I was thinking that if the mask should spring a leak where the earcups are, the Doc's Proplugs should hold the water off the comes inside of the earcup until I am able to clear the water out of the cups. I don't know if that would actually work as I have not had the opportunity to try it out for obvious reasons. So I was wondering if that it would at all be possible to use these one of either of the 2, or both methods at the same time for me to be able to scuba dive. As I have said, I would like to avoid having to do a pricey surgery again if I have to, but I also don't want to just give up on scuba diving, as I will be going to college internationally for marine biology where I could be doing some diving, and would really like to be able to scuba dive as a hobby as well. Thank you for your time and your help.

Hi Brandon. In order to enroll to a scuba class, you would need to have medical clearance by a doctor, if you have such a condition. I am not sure there would many doctors willing to clear you on this. I would recommend that you get checked and assessed by dive doc first. Tools you mention are used often by people who are having more frequent ear issues and in many cases also with success but having a permanently perforated ear is a totally different level.

Brandon,

As Ucarkus said, it really is a question for a doctor (in person with access to your medical records).... I will point out, though that part of dive training is mask removal and replacement at depth. That may sink the pro ear mask idea.
@Duke Dive Medicine may know some precedents that point to an answer.

Respectfully,

James

Hi, my name is Brandon and I would like to get into scuba diving. I'm fairly fit, and I don't have any health related issues that would prevent me rom diving. I do have one issue though. I have a tear dropped shaped perforation in my eardrum.

When I was born, I put in my eardrums to drain fluid out. The right tube fell out on its own, the left had to be removed manually, or so I am told as I was an infant and don't know if that is actually what happened. Growing up, whenever I would go swimming, I would often get swimmers ear. In about 5th grade I started to wear swimming earplugs while swimming and the ear infections stopped. I really never thought anything about it until I was 20. I can't remember what I was doing, but I probably went to blow my nose real hard, and I felt and heard the air come out of my ear, and other people can hear the air coming out of my ear. I went to the doctor, and sure enough, I have had a hole in my left eardrum since, the one that had to be manually removed by doctors. . I guess growing up, the doctors never saw it because my ear canal is slightly curved, and it obstructed the view of the hole. I have been looking in to scuba diving since I was a teen, and never really could afford it because of family situations. Now, as an adult with adult money to pend of my own, I wanted to get certified. Well, I obviously know you can't dive with a hole in your eardrum, and earplugs like the one I wear to go swimming are also not an option. So in may of 2021, I had surgery, a tympanoplasty to be specific, to solve the issues so I could scuba dive... with no results. The graft did not take place, I never got an infection, and I certainly kept my ear dry when recovering. When I went for my second follow up appointment, I had concerns that the graft did not take place, because I could feel the airflow in my ear canal. Sure enough, the graft never took hold. The hole it seems is about the same size, and so far the only thing that amounted from the surgery is, from what I have noticed, is slight hearing loss in my left ear.

Moving forward as of now, I am 21 and I would still like to get into scuba diving, but surgery is not cheap, so I would like to avoid going through it again, especially if it means having to pay for another failed surgery. I have to pay the for it, even if it fails, because it is an optional surgery that has a chance to fail, and by going into the surgery I am agreeing to it, knowing that it has a chance to fail. So I have been doing some research, I've been looking at alternate methods that would allow me to scuba dive without having to go through surgery again, and the 2 I have come across is the 2 mentioned above. Obviously, it would be a major issue if I dive with the hole.

Pro-ear mask - The first option is the one that will keep my ears dry, or least that is what it is intended to do. Reviews on the item are mixed, works for some and doesn't for others. I don't see myself having any issues wearing the funky looking mask, if it allows me to scuba dive, than I will take looking like a pinhead.
Doc's Proplugs - The vented earplug intend to help people that have trouble equalizing. Obviously, being vented, they will allow some water in. I have heard few people say that a few drops of water get in your ear canal below 30ft, but some people say that your entire ear canal will be filled with water. a small amount of water in my ear canal is fine, because water only ever gets in my middle ear if the canal flood. I will go swimming without earplugs if I know I am not goanna be submerging in the eater, or not going down that deep.

Another solution that I was wondering if it would work to keep the ear dry is if I use both at the same time, to maximize the results, and keep my ear totally dry. I was thinking that if the mask should spring a leak where the earcups are, the Doc's Proplugs should hold the water off the comes inside of the earcup until I am able to clear the water out of the cups. I don't know if that would actually work as I have not had the opportunity to try it out for obvious reasons. So I was wondering if that it would at all be possible to use these one of either of the 2, or both methods at the same time for me to be able to scuba dive. As I have said, I would like to avoid having to do a pricey surgery again if I have to, but I also don't want to just give up on scuba diving, as I will be going to college internationally for marine biology where I could be doing some diving, and would really like to be able to scuba dive as a hobby as well. Thank you for your time and your help.
As @James79 said, you'll probably need medical clearance. The hyperbaric units at both Hennepin County Medical Center and Mayo have physicians who are trained and experienced in examining divers. This is not an endorsement, but I do know people who have had success with the Pro-Ear mask in situations like yours.

Best regards,
DDM

As @James79 said, you'll probably need medical clearance. The hyperbaric units at both Hennepin County Medical Center and Mayo have physicians who are trained and experienced in examining divers. This is not an endorsement, but I do know people who have had success with the Pro-Ear mask in situations like yours.

Best regards,
DDM
Thank you very much, ill have to check them out.
Would ylu happen to know the name of any of the specific doctors?

Thank you very much, ill have to check them out.
Would ylu happen to know the name of any of the specific doctors?
Not off the top of my head, but if you get hold of the hyperbaric unit in either facility and ask for a fitness-to-dive examination they'll get you with an appropriate provider. Sending follow-up PM with contact info.

Best regards,
DDM

I do have one issue though. I have a tear dropped shaped perforation in my eardrum.
So, equalizing that one ear would not be a problem. It would be automatic!
Please make sure that the other ear gets equalized frequently to avoid problems.

You might want a dry hood to avoid ingress of water in the ear.

OK, a rubber drysuit with a dry hood would be an economical solution. And no neck seal!!!

Just ran across this thread.
Brandon, I have used the ProEar Mask for several hundred dives. I also use a Doc's Pro Plug with the mask in my potentially leaky ear.

Getting the earcups properly situated is vital. You have to sort of gather your ears into the earcups. I always do this while high and dry, before I put my gloves on. I also just pull my hood over the mask. I tried cutting out holes in a hood for the earcups, but the hood would pull when I moved my head around. I have not encountered any leaks as long as the mask was properly positioned. You have to be gentle with the earcup hoses. It is possible to pop them off the tube which goes through the mask skirt.

About a dry hood, or a hood which seals tightly over the ear. This would not work since it is necessary to maintain EQUAL pressure on both sides of the eardrum. This what the ProEar Mask permits you to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom