Question Conshelf Supreme Grease instead of Oil?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James79

Reinventor of Wheels
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As some of you know, I modify/make/alter and otherwise do different stuff with vintage gear...... I'm rebuilding a supreme, and hate the silicone oil with a passion (gets everywhere, leaks out too easy, etc.). Has anyone tried packing with silicone grease instead? In my head the theory is good, just wanted to check if anyone has done it already.

Respectfully,

James

Haven’t done it but would but you know I do crazy stuff sometimes.

Haven’t done it but would but you know I do crazy stuff sometimes.
Yeah, I figured you're not an AL guy or your would have! It's been a long week, I'm just hoping that if I'm overlooking anything someone will poke holes in my logic before I try it.

As some of you know, I modify/make/alter and otherwise do different stuff with vintage gear...... I'm rebuilding a supreme, and hate the silicone oil with a passion (gets everywhere, leaks out too easy, etc.). Has anyone tried packing with silicone grease instead? In my head the theory is good, just wanted to check if anyone has done it already.

Respectfully,

James
Generally it seems to make sense, that grease should have the same depth compensating effect as oil.

On the other hand I have never seen a diaphragm 1st grease filled.

The only idea I can come up with, is, that only liquid can guarantee to generate an even pressure on diaphragm and especially the spring pad and so the pin support which resists on a flexible area ( the diaphragm) and a small rigid area ( the spring pad) the main spring pressure.

Probably will just small imperfections in grease packing have a less secure effect on that mix of materials than on a rigid metal piston to secure the pressure adaption to depth.

If you point the ambient pressure with a plastic piston right on the spring pad (and spring support), like on the Conshelf ‘Dry’ Environmental Kit, you don’t need the diaphragm area to support the pressure on the spring pad.

I’m sure that in practice a grease filling also will work, but maybe not as reliable as liquid fill.

Generally it seems to make sense, that grease should have the same depth compensating effect as oil.

On the other hand I have never seen a diaphragm 1st grease filled.

The only idea I can come up with, is, that only liquid can guarantee to generate an even pressure on diaphragm and especially the spring pad and so the pin support which resists on a flexible area ( the diaphragm) and a small rigid area ( the spring pad) the main spring pressure.

Probably will just small imperfections in grease packing have a less secure effect on that mix of materials than on a rigid metal piston to secure the pressure adaption to depth.

If you point the ambient pressure with a plastic piston right on the spring pad (and spring support), like on the Conshelf ‘Dry’ Environmental Kit, you don’t need the diaphragm area to support the pressure on the spring pad.

I’m sure that in practice a grease filling also will work, but maybe not as reliable as liquid fill.

Hope I could make my thoughts understandable also in English.
Thanks, that is pretty close on my thoughts too. I don't want to recreate the dry seal at this point (requires too perfect of a seal on the environmental diaphragm).... I figure the grease will also be more forgiving of an imperfect seal (like the SP Mk5 Spec relying on small holes instead of a seal).

I'll run one with grease and see how it does... Will report back when I have results.

Respectfully,

James

I knew some divers in the 70s that packed their Conshelf XIVs with vaseline to create a cheap seal for cold water dives. It worked for them for diving but made a real mess to clean up when it was time to have them serviced. A lot worse to clean than silicone oil.

Back when we had an old dacor reg, I filled it with peach schnapps, worked fine,

Grease could be hard to get all the air out, you could have air bubbles trapped as you fill it.....

Back when we had an old dacor reg, I filled it with peach schnapps, worked fine,

Grease could be hard to get all the air out, you could have air bubbles trapped as you fill it.....
Part of my issue is that I don't have new replacements for the enviro seal (and don't feel like making them), so getting a perfect seal is going to be tough... I figure the grease will be more forgiving of an imperfect seal. As to trapped air..... I have a couple ideas on the process to minimize them, and if they are minimal they should be a non factor.
made a real mess to clean up when it was time to have them serviced. A lot worse to clean than silicone oil.
I recognize that the grease will be a pain to clean at service... But I'm hoping to get a Conshelf decade before it's needed!

Being down south, I assume you don't dive cold water so why not just remove the sealing diaphragm and dive it without one....no reason not to. As I understand it, you can also swap off the spring retainer area parts from an earlier Titan and use it's dry seal system instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom