Greetings from LA(Lower Alabama)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to scubaboard, You can find all sorts of information and advice here. I am new too and love to search through the forums for advice on fire coral stings that last forever to wreck charters/ liveaboards.

Welcome to the addiction!
I'm in Enterprise... Also I'm cheap, so during the summer I mostly shore dive the panhandle, and winter I go to the springs (Vortex or Morrison) to stay wet. My boys (15 and 12) frequently dive with me, so I stick to benign conditions, and my wife is the definition of a vacation diver (has to be warm enough for no wetsuit, lots of pretty fish, that sort of stuff).

Respectfully,

James

Thank you! I’m in Az
I am indeed a vacation diver!

Welcome. I have spent a fair bit of time on the "Redneck Riviera" (Panama City Florida) over the years. That is where I learned to dive and there are some great dive sites in the area.

Have fun & welcome to Scubaboard.

Welcome!
I, from Nola, tend to dive at the western end of "rivera", Gulf Shores, Pensacola, Destin, it's a long day trip or weekend. Others can tell you about the more-eastern spots. And yes, in the Winter, the springs are open, and are 68F in the winter, and 68 in the summer. So try them if you are getting blown out, or in the winter when the Gulf gets down lower than 68.
I see you've got over 50 dives, so I may be preaching to the choir about the spots near you. If you haven't yet tried the Florida east coast south of Stuart, it's fun drift-diving, and good marine life and critters. Jupiter and Palm Beach are where I've been, good diving/boat infrastructure and fun towns.

Way way west is Freeport, TX, where the liveaboard boat takes you to the NMS Sanctuaries at Stetson Bank and Flower Garden Banks. It's the "redneck Caribbean", clear warm water 70-90 miles offshore, on the salt domes that grow coral. All around you is 300-400 feet, but those domes make for 80-90 foot doable diving--I did it first time with a big 8 or 9 dives under my belt ;-) For me it's a six-hour drive, but more like ten for you? You could combine it with a beach vacay off Galveston or points west. Or stop off at New Orleans, then drive the 6 hours.

Welcome to SB from Nova Scotia. Do you shore dive in your area? We used to "snowbird" in Destin/Biloxi/Dauphin Island. I played clarinet in Destin in a place called "Club LA". Let me know if you need shore diving sites advice in the area.

LA or FLA?
I get confused about the difference.

Welcome!
I, from Nola, tend to dive at the western end of "rivera", Gulf Shores, Pensacola, Destin, it's a long day trip or weekend. Others can tell you about the more-eastern spots. And yes, in the Winter, the springs are open, and are 68F in the winter, and 68 in the summer. So try them if you are getting blown out, or in the winter when the Gulf gets down lower than 68.
I see you've got over 50 dives, so I may be preaching to the choir about the spots near you. If you haven't yet tried the Florida east coast south of Stuart, it's fun drift-diving, and good marine life and critters. Jupiter and Palm Beach are where I've been, good diving/boat infrastructure and fun towns.

Way way west is Freeport, TX, where the liveaboard boat takes you to the NMS Sanctuaries at Stetson Bank and Flower Garden Banks. It's the "redneck Caribbean", clear warm water 70-90 miles offshore, on the salt domes that grow coral. All around you is 300-400 feet, but those domes make for 80-90 foot doable diving--I did it first time with a big 8 or 9 dives under my belt ;-) For me it's a six-hour drive, but more like ten for you? You could combine it with a beach vacay off Galveston or points west. Or stop off at New Orleans, then drive the 6 hours.

That sound really cool. I’ve not heard of the domes before but I will definitely look into it. Thanks for the info, it’s amazing how many great places to dive there are out there. We do go to Bonaire last year and are planning to go back this year. If you ever have the chance, take it! Too many easy shire dives to do in a week and all absolutely amazing. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom