Question What to bring vs rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd rather have some neoprene against my crotch that had been against someone else's crotch than to have a mouthpiece in my mouth that had been in someone else's mouth.

We have clubs in NYC for both of those scenarios.

There's an idea I haven't heard before though I think a rashguard might do better. Still, I think the concern over wetsuits is overblown. Just make sure they are rinsed well with some disinfectant. Not that anything in a wetsuit is actually going to do any harm. I wonder how many people rent regs and don't bring their own mouthpiece? I think I'd rather have some neoprene against my crotch that had been against someone else's crotch than to have a mouthpiece in my mouth that had been in someone else's mouth.
There is no way to ensure a rental wetsuit has been well rinsed and disinfected. Its still a big ick factor for me! I would never consider renting a regulator or using a snorkel that was not mine either. Love having my own stuff! I don’t understand why if you own it you would not bring it.

I bring everything but that's me. I'm not spending my time and money on a vacation to hate my dives because my mask leaks, baggy wetsuit, crappy BCD, etc.

I'd recommend you bring your mask and fins to start. Then wetsuit. Then regs. Then BCD. In that order.

Leave the gopro home and prioritize your gear. :)

Leave the gopro home and prioritize your gear.
Bring it. It's small, however they usually get lost...
  1. Put your name and contact info on the first frame on the SD card and protect it so it can't be erased, so if found - they can find you.
  2. Insure it at Personal Articles Policy - State Farm® in case it's not found and returned.

everything except tanks and lead

There is no way to ensure a rental wetsuit has been well rinsed and disinfected. Its still a big ick factor for me! I would never consider renting a regulator or using a snorkel that was not mine either. Love having my own stuff! I don’t understand why if you own it you would not bring it.

Yes there is. Rinse it in disinfectant yourself! Which is what I would do if renting a wetsuit for the week. But I'm with you. I bring all my own gear for many reasons - lower cost overall, better fit, better maintained, and more familiar to me.

More people bring a camera than return home with a camera.

but sometimes they return without one..

Which is why I said. That PAP policy is cheap and pays well.
Bring it. It's small, however they usually get lost...
  1. Put your name and contact info on the first frame on the SD card and protect it so it can't be erased, so if found - they can find you.
  2. Insure it at Personal Articles Policy - State Farm® in case it's not found and returned.
Same thing.
but sometimes they return without one..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom