What kind of Barracuda is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shabaday

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Diving on the Ana Cecelia in Jupiter and came across this Barracuda on the bottom near the stern. Was different than all the other ones and was by itself
What kind is it?

Attachments

• BlackB.jpg
    BlackB.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 69
I see them in that color pattern pretty regularly in Palm Beach County. I believe it is still a great barracuda. I believe that is the only barracuda species we have here. It is just a different color pattern. I'm not sure if it is age or sex related or is possibly a breeding color? I've never looked into it before. I'm curious to see if others know more.

Many fish species can change their color pattern almost on a dime for camouflage or to communicate. Hogfish and whitespotted filefish do this all the time. I wonder if 'cudas do that too?

I'd agree - it looks like a great baracuda. They can change they're color patterns and it's typical to see them do this if they are overtop a rocky or rubbly substrate.

Ok great to know....He was a big fish so I figured some type of Great B. It was just odd that all the other ones were much higher up the wreck in typical fashion and this guy was down at the bottom at the stern hold...funny thing was there were barely any other fish hanging around him lol

Attachments

• BlackStern.jpg
    BlackStern.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 53
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom