Fiji - Land-based Savusavu/Namena Marine Reserve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

globetrotter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Finally, heading back to Fiji after 15 years. We went twice in the early 2000s and loved the diving, especially the areas off Kadavu and Taveuni. We have two new divers now (11 and 13) and want to explore a different part of the archipelago. I have recently read very nice things about Savusavu, especially the Namena Marine Reserve. Has anyone successfully self-catered and used a local dive outfit? Is it even possible to put together something like that?

I looked at all-inclusive, like Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort, and...wow. Baller, but definitely not cheap. On the other hand, there are some amazing AirBnB's nearby, but my concern is getting access to a quality dive boat. The kids are new divers, and while I don't remember Fiji being particularly difficult, we'd both prefer some easier dives for the kids' first international outing. I want to encourage them to be life-long divers :)

Is Namena Marine Reserve all it's cracked up to be? Any other recommendations for Fiji?

We were in Taveuni 10 years ago at the time of a full moon and the currents were ripping. We thought our friend was joking when he said don't dive at a full moon, but it was crazy. You might check the calendar. We dive the Bligh Waters with Volivoli. Have fun

@globetrotter you weren't kidding about Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort....I just looked at the pricing for a Garden Bure and it was like $981/night USD. Won't see me there any time soon! Makes Paradise Taveuni priced similar to a motel 6!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom