Wanted Poseidon Odin Model 3960 Hose.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelGas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking To Buy a 40" hose for the above 2nd Stage. NIB is nice, lightly used works also. If you have one, please LMK. Thanks.

TBone, I understand that I need a regulator with a 40" hose for a Tech' class I am working towards. That is a good idea and I will look into it. Thanks.

TBone, I understand that I need a regulator with a 40" hose for a Tech' class I am working towards. That is a good idea and I will look into it. Thanks.
The 40" hose reference lends itself to using it as a deco bottle? If so, I would pick a standard second stage and keep the poseidon first stage.
Poseidon are great breathers, and that first stage is one of the best there is. But the second stage design is one of the worst possible for a bottle that is turned off underwater. If you bump and purge it while off, it will flood the entire first stage with water.

The 40" hose reference lends itself to using it as a deco bottle? If so, I would pick a standard second stage and keep the poseidon first stage.
Poseidon are great breathers, and that first stage is one of the best there is. But the second stage design is one of the worst possible for a bottle that is turned off underwater. If you bump and purge it while off, it will flood the entire first stage with water.

Tracy, your always so helpful. You are good with attention to detail. I intended to use one of my trusted Poseidon Odins for a Deco Regulator and I was told to have a 40” hose for it, that’s why I am looking to switch out the 34” hose that is on there now. Since I do not want salt water in my Poseidon 1st stage, I follow what you are saying, that the hose is not pressurized if the purge button is hit inadvertently so water can go up the hose and ruin my 1st stage. I think I better find another use for that Poseidon.

I expect to purchase the Apeks XTX-50 regulator Back Mount package with optional 5th port that comes with one 7’ hose and I believe the other is a 28” hose. Perhaps, I will get a 40” hose for the XTX-50 and use that for my deco bottle regulator and swap out the 28” hose.

Can someone recommend an Apeks dealer for the above package ? Is there an Apeks dealer on SB folks like ?
Thanks

@TravelGas not a lot of love for Apeks regs on this forum because they forbid the sale of parts to end users and they are egregiously expensive in the US. For reference they are not considered a "premium" regulator in Europe and are not priced in a premium category. They are horrifically expensive over here for what they are.

If you use the cheap hose adapters for the Poseidons then a hose is a hose and it doesn't matter what the package comes with, you can move them around freely.

Tracy, your always so helpful. You are good with attention to detail. I intended to use one of my trusted Poseidon Odins for a Deco Regulator and I was told to have a 40” hose for it, that’s why I am looking to switch out the 34” hose that is on there now. Since I do not want salt water in my Poseidon 1st stage, I follow what you are saying, that the hose is not pressurized if the purge button is hit inadvertently so water can go up the hose and ruin my 1st stage. I think I better find another use for that Poseidon.

I expect to purchase the Apeks XTX-50 regulator Back Mount package with optional 5th port that comes with one 7’ hose and I believe the other is a 28” hose. Perhaps, I will get a 40” hose for the XTX-50 and use that for my deco bottle regulator and swap out the 28” hose.

Can someone recommend an Apeks dealer for the above package ? Is there an Apeks dealer on SB folks like ?
Thanks
I would stick with the first stage you already own unless you have another use for that complete regulator. The 3960 first is a true workhorse of a first stage. Any second stage you find will work fine with it as jetstream IPs are consistent with other manufacturers.

As to Apeks dealers, Dive Right In Scuba is a sponsor on this board and an Apeks dealer.
I have personally used them for many things for years and have been pleased.

@TravelGas not a lot of love for Apeks regs on this forum because they forbid the sale of parts to end users and they are egregiously expensive in the US. For reference they are not considered a "premium" regulator in Europe and are not priced in a premium category. They are horrifically expensive over here for what they are.

If you use the cheap hose adapters for the Poseidons then a hose is a hose and it doesn't matter what the package comes with, you can move them around freely.
I am going to look into the hose adapters. My regulator Techician guru with 40+ years servicing regs told me he will keep the Odins running for me until he can no longer get parts for them. It is getting harder to get parts each year, the end is within site apparently. He told me to get the Apeks XTX-50 and I would be happy and breathing easy no matter the depth and Apeks is common and easy to get parts for the world over. As for the other things you mention above, I did not know. I still consider the Odins a premium regulator. Trust my life to them.

I am going to look into the hose adapters. My regulator Techician guru with 40+ years servicing regs told me he will keep the Odins running for me until he can no longer get parts for them. It is getting harder to get parts each year, the end is within site apparently. He told me to get the Apeks XTX-50 and I would be happy and breathing easy no matter the depth and Apeks is common and easy to get parts for the world over. As for the other things you mention above, I did not know. I still consider the Odins a premium regulator. Trust my life to them.

he claims they're getting harder to get every year? I don't buy that many parts from Poseidon every year, and @rsingler can probably give more insight since he does, but the end is not in sight for the Jetstreams. They use the same parts as the Xstream and they're both in current production. Hell you can buy all the parts you want from @DiveGearExpress , they're on the website

I would stick with the first stage you already own unless you have another use for that complete regulator. The 3960 first is a true workhorse of a first stage. Any second stage you find will work fine with it as jetstream IPs are consistent with other manufacturers.

As to Apeks dealers, Dive Right In Scuba is a sponsor on this board and an Apeks dealer.
I have personally used them for many things for years and have been pleased.
Right now, all I have are 2 pristine Odins 3960's that I purchased in 1995 from Divers Supply. I have the original storage bags and owners manuals for both of them. One has a 28" hose the other a 34" hose and I have one extra hose.

For Tech diving I will need more regs, so I was looking to get the Apeks Backmount XTX-50 package. That will give me 4 regulators. I will look into DRIS for future purchases. I have a box coming Thursday from DGE, who I saw supports this forum, so I placed an order with them. I am in the process of replacing 85% of my 1990's era equipment.

Back
Top Bottom