Oxygen creation using electrolysis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So would someone, maybe @tbone1004 or someone else that uses the concentrator explain their setups?

I can't imagine they put out much pressure.
The concentrators have a QD on the bottom that puts out ~20psi IIRC and that is fed into a compressor of some sort. Invacare uses a 3-stage compressor that spits out 2200psi give or take, Philips uses something more akin to a Haskel booster.

So would someone, maybe @tbone1004 or someone else that uses the concentrator explain their setups?

I can't imagine they put out much pressure.
The medical ones run in the 20-30psi range. You need a compressor to pump that into a receiving tank (usually up to a max of 2000psi) then a booster to get your scuba tank filled to 3000psi.

The medical ones run in the 20-30psi range. You need a compressor to pump that into a receiving tank (usually up to a max of 2000psi) then a booster to get your scuba tank filled to 3000psi.
correct, and they are also PAINFULLY slow. Roughly 0.07cfm for reference. This is one where you let it go all night because it takes about 12 hours to fill an AL80. Worth it, but very slow. Factoring in electricity consumption of about .75 kwh for both units running and it costs roughly $0.02/cf if my math is right, which it probably isn't right now because I'm zonked, but that's a LOT cheaper than buying distilled O2 from the gas suppliers. Well worth it IMO for use in open circuit applications, and depending on your location and hassle of dealing with O2 suppliers and your total consumption, may make it worth it for CCR so long as you don't mind a dil flush every 10-15 minutes or so.

For one the US Navy, and probably every nations navy. But the companies seem more concerned with retrieving the Hydrogen then the O2, but either way you'll get the O2.

Edit: added link

Back in the day, when I was riding submarines, we lovingly referred to the O2 generator as the bomb. Although it was unusual, occasionally a cell would go bad and rather than shutting down, it would explode and send some metal projectiles across the compartment at a high rate of speed. Although we never had anyone hurt, I found another place to sit and bullshirt with shipmates.

Back in the day, when I was riding submarines, we lovingly referred to the O2 generator as the bomb. Although it was unusual, occasionally a cell would go bad and rather than shutting down, it would explode and send some metal projectiles across the compartment at a high rate of speed. Although we never had anyone hurt, I found another place to sit and bullshirt with shipmates.
I wonder what they do with the old ones when they decomm the old boats. Not as many be delisted, but you never know?

I wonder what they do with the old ones when they decomm the old boats. Not as many be delisted, but you never know?

It depends whether they have come up with a new type of generator. It they are just running a new upgrade, they could upgrade for replacement, use on new boats, or parts.

Just to stir the pot a little, how about sunshine and CO2 to make O2? As a bonus you get fuel as well.
O2 is a waste product. And you do need a little water as well.

This is my rig, pump is a ultrafil
I can't remember think it had 4 stages.
It pumps to 2000psi, and if the bottle is 3000psi there is a magnet in the quick connect, and the hall effect bumps it to 3000psi. 2.2 lpm
20220118_191507.jpg

Argon has been removed with PSA oxygen concentrators that are fitted with carbon molecular sieves (I think 3A) in addition to the standard zeolite.
Do you have more info on this?
Or any links that describe how this works?

I remember seeing an article that stated a zeolite to remove the Argon. But it costs 10x as much as the one that does the nitrogen
Would you know what type zeolite that's used to do this?

My o2 concentrator seems to be low o2 concentration, it does have a ton of hr on it, and am thinking to change the zeolite...
And I don't mind experimenting..

Back
Top Bottom