combine Raja Ampat with land based location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm seeing this advice a lot, and I am confused. Coming from the USA (or probably anywhere far away) you are going to fly into Jakarta either way. Then if you want Komodo, you are going to Labuan Bajo - most likely by domestic flight. If you want Raja, you are going to Sorong, again by domestic flight.
Current situation aside, there are normally plenty of international flights into Bali, so Jakarta is not a given. Not so much on US carriers though. So it can depend on where you are coming from, and maybe your airline preferences, and where you are going in Indo. We try to fly AA or partners for frequent flier reasons. Sticking to that made it difficult to arrive into Bali, and Jakarta worked better for our itinerary overall. (I tried because I wanted to do Bali on one end.) But a different trip and/or a different origin, Bali could make perfect sense. I think arriving in Bali is more straightforward from some places than others.

I'm not going until COVID is no longer affecting trips, but I am planning now, and COVID is affecting flights. I see lots of relatively cheap flights to Jakarta, and none to Denpasar.

So you are saying in ordinary times, a flight to Denpasar is roughly the same travel time and cost as a flight to Jakarta? And then I can get to Labuan Bajo without a domestic flight?

I can get to Labuan Bajo without a domestic flight?
I don’t think so, but the last time I was there was in 2014. Things could be changed since then.

I'm not going until COVID is no longer affecting trips, but I am planning now, and COVID is affecting flights.
You are right about that. I tried to book my flight in August with EVA and only get Houston-Jakarta. Houston-Denpasar is not available, yet.

I have 2 trips to Indonesia scheduled.
1. Sangalaki in August
2. Ring of Fire in November.

So, I’m interested in what local experts say.

I'm not going until COVID is no longer affecting trips, but I am planning now, and COVID is affecting flights. I see lots of relatively cheap flights to Jakarta, and none to Denpasar.

So you are saying in ordinary times, a flight to Denpasar is roughly the same travel time and cost as a flight to Jakarta? And then I can get to Labuan Bajo without a domestic flight?
There are no flights to Denpassar right now because there is almost no demand to go to Bali due to essentially no tourists visas. When "COVID is no longer affecting trips" there will be many, many flights to Denpassar.

You will then need a short, hour-long flight to get to Labuan Bajo. It is 500 miles and several islands away from Bali. There are multiple flights per day from Bali to Flores- at least six a day even right now.

Jakarta to Sorong is a bit over four hours, and there are far fewer flights...maybe one or two per day right now in the middle of the night.

You are right about that. I tried to book my flight in August with EVA and only get Houston-Jakarta. Houston-Denpasar is not available, yet.
Posted my reply too soon. I went to Expedia, and Qatar Air has it, below. So @bvbellomo you can check your international flights with Expedia.

E04740DA-AF77-4C09-A818-16BAD5BD4E18.jpeg

I can use SingaporeAir too, but it has several stops (> 1, with last stop is in Singapore before going to Denpasar) with the last flight is from and more expensive. So Qatar seems like the best option to fly from Houston to Denpasar, Bali.

There used to be lot of lots of international flights arriving at Denpasar everyday ie pre Covid time.
Of course you can get to Labuan Bajo from Bali without taking a domestic flight. But it is a long bus and ferry trip. I have done the journey from Lombok to Flores yrs ago and it was very very interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom