Question Do you take your BP/W on flights? And how?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only travelled with my BP/W once, and I just packed all my dive gear in a rolling duffel and checked it.

I do see many (most?) of you here noted disassembling the BP/W for travel. I've not done that... is there any particular reason why one would do that? I'm still new with this gear, and I would hate to separate the wing from the plate only to arrive at my destination and not remember how to rethread the webbing!
I don't think anyone is suggesting removing the webbing, but I could be mistaken. Rather, I believe they are referring to removing the cambands from the plate (or STA). I no longer disassemble the cam bands from the plate, but I tried it that way once. My thinking was that the cambands sticking up in the interior of the bag make packing more challenging. I put small marks with white felt-tip marker on the places on the cambands that should line up with the slots on the plate. I no longer bother removing the cambands--I just shove t-shirts and other small packable items into whatever nooks and crannies remain after I pack the major items of gear.

I've only travelled with my BP/W once, and I just packed all my dive gear in a rolling duffel and checked it.

I do see many (most?) of you here noted disassembling the BP/W for travel. I've not done that... is there any particular reason why one would do that? I'm still new with this gear, and I would hate to separate the wing from the plate only to arrive at my destination and not remember how to rethread the webbing!

Airlines lose luggage, usually found within a couple days but still when I travel it's short term. A couple days wrecks my trip, with that in mind I do the following;

I believe that all critical gear goes in carry on and stays with me. Combined with the fact you can't usually rent bpw or long hose configuration that I prefer is all the more reason it stays with me. I can buy underwear at my destination, not so much with the above gear. Price plays into it as well.

Taking the bpw apart makes it fit better in my carry on, webbing stays on the plate.

I bring my steel plate in by check luggage. I do disassemble it. the only thing to worry about is the weight of the bag, but I pack my regulator in my carry on so that helps a lot.

The concern a lot of people have with it being assembled is the possibility that the hard edge of the backplate could cause what is called a pinch flat on the wing, causing a leak.

The concern a lot of people have with it being assembled is the possibility that the hard edge of the backplate could cause what is called a pinch flat on the wing, causing a leak.
And alternatively… packing it disassembled might mean that you could leave your STA on the kitchen floor as a cat toy.

And alternatively… packing it disassembled might mean that you could leave your STA on the kitchen floor as a cat toy.
Yes, that is very much a concern.

For those who don't know, this is a reference to what happened to me. I disassembled my BP/W assembly for packing, and I inadvertently left the STA home. As a result, I had to rent very unsatisfactory jacket BCDs for two weeks.

I now recommend that people with a lifetime of ADD avoid this practice.

Yes, that is very much a concern.

For those who don't know, this is a reference to what happened to me. I disassembled my BP/W assembly for packing, and I inadvertently left the STA home. As a result, I had to rent very unsatisfactory jacket BCDs for two weeks.

I now recommend that people with a lifetime of ADD avoid this practice.

If your cat is using your STA as a toy that's a really big cat

If your cat is using your STA as a toy that's a really big cat
The cat was Doc's fictional addition to the tale. I have never owned a cat of any size.

The cat was Doc's fictional addition to the tale. I have never owned a cat of any size.
One does not own cats, they own you.
That’s the least of the fictions in this tale.

OK, the STA was a chew toy for a Rottweiler.

Anyone remember the days when we could carry 75 lbs in each bag with 2 suitcases/passenger?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom