mobile network in the south route in the Maldives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased wifi access for $20 while on Carpe Vita going to the Deep South last year and able to do a Real Time review of the trip:

The LoB has to moor in the evening usually inside a lagoon. And if there is a resort nearby then signal is possible.
Most LoB has more or less planned itinerary and the captain/operator should be able to answer the question.

The Real Time Reviews (RTR) were made to take advantage of the low cost on-board wifi service available ($30 for 5 GB), while on the boat and the local simcard ($30 for 16GB data) that we purchased in the Male airport for additional wifi access. I had an old unlocked iPhone 6+ where I installed the local simcard and used it as my personal hotspot for my currently use iPhone 11PM that is locked on at&t simcard. Luckily I did this “Plan B” option as my at&t International data access (called “Passport”), which costed me $70 for a mere 3GB data, did not work in Maldives.
After the Deep South on Carpe Vita, I hoped on Emperor Leo and learnt that their wifi service was more expensive ($30 for 5GB). Luckily I bought simcard at the airport before boarding the boat for $30 for 16 GB. So I decided to use my simcard on my old iPhone 6+ as personal wifi for my iPhone 11PM.

You can see the signal quality from my real-time review of that trip here:

Some of the same info can be found in my trip report here:

The southern half of Best of The Maldives at some point going to similar route as the northern half of the Deep South. Overall, I’m pretty happy with the cost & signal quality.

You'll find maldivian sim card in the airport at +/- 30 USD for 16Gb of data.
Signal available when you are in the surrounding (means up to kilometers) of a populated island.

ok I´m back.

I bough 1 sim with 100gb and 300 minutes for 50 USD and it worked very weel except when we was i the middle of the ocean

It is getting cheaper from $1.88/GB to $0.50/GB 👍. I hope the speed goes up accordingly too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom