mobile network in the south route in the Maldives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_masked_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone.

Next week I´m going to make a liveaboard by the south route in The Maldives . I´ll need to work a little, so I´d like to know if I buy a simcard at the airport, I´ll be able to use internet.

I don´t expect high speeds, but enough to work with email and that kind of things. I know most ships have wifi on board, but I prefer my own conection.

What do you think?

Thank you

Hi everyone.

Next week I´m going to make a liveaboard by the south route in The Maldives . I´ll need to work a little, so I´d like to know if I buy a simcard at the airport, I´ll be able to use internet.

I don´t expect high speeds, but enough to work with email and that kind of things. I know most ships have wifi on board, but I prefer my own conection.

What do you think?

Thank you
You have to ask this question to the boat manager of the liveaboard. If the boat stays overnight around populated islands, sure, mobile internet might do the job but probably even the captain will not know this in advance. But sure, it makes sense to buy own one so that you do not have to share wifi with everone.

I suspect you will not be near any cell service very often, so will need to go with a satellite connection. A normal satellite phone does nto support data services, other than possibly texts. I suggst you loo at something like Iridium GO.

Ask your boat what is available on board and what can be expected on the route. Check first if they have an FAQ on their website with this info, tends to be a common question everywhere.

I suspect you will not be near any cell service very often, so will need to go with a satellite connection. A normal satellite phone does nto support data services, other than possibly texts. I suggst you loo at something like Iridium GO.
I'm not sure that this actually would do what he wants, and its extremely expensive. It says this:

"At 2.4 Kilobits per second, the Iridium Go! is not a solution to those looking for workable connection for normal Internet use. Email attachments of any size will take minute or hours to transfer, and a single webpage would take 5 to 10 minutes to load. Connectivity to the Internet with the Iridium Go should be considered an emergency backup solution. Having more than one connected device would create an even worse bottleneck (it allows up to 5 connected devices). The good news is that applications like SMS text messaging and text only email messages (using their email app), use far less data, and are the real shining heroes here. Let's not forget it's also capable of making/receiving a voice call from anywhere the sky can be seen"

Nothing like cruising the internet on less-than 56k dial up modem speeds!

If cell coverage is as good as they say, and you don't need a connection all the time or even every day, you might get by depending on the exact itinerary. I recall being near (and occasionally on) inhabited islands often enough.

I've run into enough places over the years that had kind of mostly skipped wires and had better cell coverage and/or internet service than I had at home not all that far from Boston for a long time. And places things were awful that one might have expected better. You can get surprised sometimes and assumptions based on apparent remoteness can be wrong.

I'm not sure that this actually would do what he wants, and its extremely expensive. It says this:

"At 2.4 Kilobits per second, the Iridium Go! is not a solution to those looking for workable connection for normal Internet use. Email attachments of any size will take minute or hours to transfer, and a single webpage would take 5 to 10 minutes to load. Connectivity to the Internet with the Iridium Go should be considered an emergency backup solution. Having more than one connected device would create an even worse bottleneck (it allows up to 5 connected devices). The good news is that applications like SMS text messaging and text only email messages (using their email app), use far less data, and are the real shining heroes here. Let's not forget it's also capable of making/receiving a voice call from anywhere the sky can be seen"

Nothing like cruising the internet on less-than 56k dial up modem speeds!
The OP said email. He did not mention browsing. The issue isn't that the Maldives is disconnecred, the issue is thar the ship is at sea, not in port. Wifi and cellular signals don't reach the ship. This is true anywhere in the world.

Back
Top Bottom