Rubber length vs miflex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brsnow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving miflex 40” with 90 degree elbow and 22” necklace. I was curious if switching out to same set up with rubber hose if I would need to change length. Also any suggestions for more flexible rubber hoses is great. Thank you

No, there is no reason to change lengths if what you have now works well for you.

James

The miflex does make tighter turns than rubber.

For the 22", how much slack do you have? If you feel a tug when looking left with the reg in your mouth, I'd go with a 24" in rubber. But if you have a bit of slack with the miflex when looking left then maybe stick to the 22.

For the 40". Again, do you have any slack at all when moving your head around? If not, the next question is how does the hose come off your first stage? If the reg has the LP port facing or angled down so the hose has a fairly straight shot to where it goes under your arm, then you can stick to a rubber 40". If it starts out heading up or out, then you'd need a couple more inches to get it to end up at the same place as your miflex.

Why do you want to switch? I can see preferring rubber for a long hose so it's smoother on the back of your neck, but miflex is pretty nice for your uses.

It has more to do with changing them out within 5 years.

Miflex kinks up nicely for a long hose. Not good! I use rubber for my long hose. Everything else is Miflex/braided.

Pirahna Ultraflex have worked well for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom