Port closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunday,16jan2022, 10AM

It looks pretty rough on the webcam Grand Park Royal Cozumel en vivo, Cozumel - Webcams de México

It's not surprising; we had 30mph gusting to 45mph NW wind here in Austin late Friday night.

We dived in Spring Lake in San Marcos yesterday and the 71 degree water felt like a warm bath compared to topside, with temps in the 40's and 20-30mph winds. We didn't want to get out. My hands were so numb I could barely unclip things to get out of the kit. The drive between Houston and San Marcos felt like six hours each way (it's actually three, for the non-Texans) with all the cross winds. Going to San Marco my car had a constant pull to the left, and kinda wondered about the tires and alignment but going back to Houston the constant pull was to the right.

It has been only partially closed today. 40ft and up and people are still out and about.
Before I came the forecast showed two days that it should close but it never did.

Not bad for the last 9 days to have one partial closure. We had some fierce winds and rain a few days last week but still did a few dives everyday.

Yesterday was the calm before this storm, nicest day since I have been here.

Is the port open today?

From Dive with Martin's Facebook page:
Hello family. I've started to receive some messages from some of you regarding the port status. At the moment is still closed. The first report is normally given at 8:00 am. If we don't get it at 8:00 the second one is at 10:00 and then by noon. Hopefully, we get the 8:00am report. We will let you know of any changes.

Is the port open today?
They opened it at 9:45 to all with caution. In the morning is was open to 40' or bigger

We head there tomorrow... hope it's open by Tuesday morning!
Closures come and go in the wintertime. Your best resource on wind forecasts is Windguru - Mexico - Cozumel

Winds of 20 knots or more from the north to west are most likely to close it. Under 15 knots or from the east are less likely. Those are general suggestions as many variables come into play. Accept that weather happens, the closures are for safety, and it's still nicer to be there than home. There are other things to do on the island during closures.

Back
Top Bottom