A repository of 3D print STL sources

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I fully admit that this is a somewhat gut-level concept, but here goes ...

In this application, unlike other muffling applications that seem to have inspired these designs, we are dealing with a steady-state rather than impulse flow. In a firearm application, a significant portion of the overall efficacy is to spread inbound pressure wave out over time buy trapping the gas into expansion chambers, dropping the pressure and allowing it to release out of the bore at a lower velocity over time. Diameter is also a significant practical consideration.

For muffling the (essentially) steady-state flow from a tank valve it really comes down to how that pressure is dropped and where it is directed. I think that a disk of open-ended, spiraling radial expansion chambers might be the ticket. The idea being to allow the gas to expand in constant, controlled fashion to reduce velocity and be diffused radially. Maybe something in the 4-5" diameter category.

That expansion disk design can then be stacked several levels out from the valve. Balancing the distribution through the stack can probably be done by slightly reducing the thickness of the disks as they get further away from the valve, narrowing the central opening (start off with disk spirals that go all the way to the center and then cut the central channel of the stack with a cone) , or if you want to get really fancy, use some sort of variable-geometry central helix to turn the flow from linear to radial distribution.

You are right, mufflers (and that other thing) are designed to control rapid pressure pulses.
What you are describing is much closer to an existing off-the-shelf device...

Pneumatic mufflers are a thing. They are just a large, porous cylinder. Allowing the pressure to diffuse over a larger surface area. That stops a supersonic (or just high velocity) stream forming, thereby greatly reducing the noise.

You could 3D print one, or 3D print an adapter from DIN to whatever thread your muffler is in.

Because while DIN is used on both sides of the atlantic, Pneumatic's are still separated into US (inch) and everybody else (metric).

(Which reminds me, I still need to fit one to our lab compressor, its venting is rather loud!).

I also need to try making something like this for my DH... it would be wildly different in shape, but the idea of diffusing the bubbles to reduce the noise interests me (and its more practical with a DH than a single hose).

In this application, unlike other muffling applications that seem to have inspired these designs, we are dealing with a steady-state rather than impulse flow. In a firearm application, a significant portion of the overall efficacy is to spread inbound pressure wave out over time buy trapping the gas into expansion chambers, dropping the pressure and allowing it to release out of the bore at a lower velocity over time. Diameter is also a significant practical consideration.

For muffling the (essentially) steady-state flow from a tank valve it really comes down to how that pressure is dropped and where it is directed. I think that a disk of open-ended, spiraling radial expansion chambers might be the ticket. The idea being to allow the gas to expand in constant, controlled fashion to reduce velocity and be diffused radially. Maybe something in the 4-5" diameter category.

That expansion disk design can then be stacked several levels out from the valve. Balancing the distribution through the stack can probably be done by slightly reducing the thickness of the disks as they get further away from the valve, narrowing the central opening (start off with disk spirals that go all the way to the center and then cut the central channel of the stack with a cone) , or if you want to get really fancy, use some sort of variable-geometry central helix to turn the flow from linear to radial distribution.

Instead of filling up this thread, we've had a smaller chat channel to discuss this.

I've brought up the point about air velocity. Something I've been trying to do with my designs is a way to slow down the air. I've been using the idea of simply have more outlet capacity than inlet. I've toyed with simply having larger outlets, but I think using smaller outlets, just a lot more of them, would be better.

I also agree with you about the previous designs being similar to a gun suppressor, and I didn't think it would be as effective with continuous air flow. Which is kinda what led to me trying my hand at coming up with something better. And I think I have. A few of my latest prototypes do seem to be quieter. But I think it could be better.

I have some more ideas I'm going to play with.

This was my latest idea. It works quite well, but I think it's a little too complicated. It's quieter at 1/2 turn opening than w/out any muffler at 1/8 turn.
Muffler prototype.jpg

This discussion about mufflers is wonderful, but this thread was intended as a repository of 3D print files.
I begg to any moderator to split this thread and open a new one about mufflers and keep this thread clean.

If any of you use Conshelf Supremes, and use a pin spanner to get the environmental diaphragm retaining ring off, this may help:
IMG_20220119_080441959.jpgIMG_20220119_080349508.jpgIMG_20220119_080414525.jpgIMG_20220119_080434304.jpg
Pin spacing guide with guide ring to keep the pins lined up on the slots. STL attached.

Respectfully,

James

Attachments

• SupremePinSpannerSpacer.stl
    39.2 KB · Views: 99
1643343271963.jpeg

Lot of fun with my Creality 3 v2. Left to right, top to bottom. Backscatter MacroMate 15 lens cover; Trigger grip for the cheapo ring light; Double spring clip to mount one GoPro plate to another - attaching my video light to the hot shoe; Backscatter wet wide angle lens cover; Lens covers for GoPros 5 & 7 and Tg-5; Reel; protective covers for Mares Quad computers; lens cover for dive housing; trigger mount for GoPro.

Triggers grips, reel, and double spring clip are PLA+ printed at 100%. Lens and protective covers are TPU printed at 100%.

The reel is a copy of my favorite one - that I lost. The smaller trigger grip was used on my last dives and is fantastic. The dive computer covers are removable and replaceable with one hand. I can cover them while still on my wrists.

The reel is a re-mix, and the triggers are highly modified remixes of grips only. The rest are my own creations.

.stl files coming

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom