passed the big 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jealous of some of y’all. I didn’t even start diving or know about diving until 2016 when I was 34 years old. I’ve only dove spots in Guam while TDY there with the military, so while I have missed years of diving I do feel like I’ve had a great experience on the place I’ve dove as I’ve heard Guam is one of the best places on earth to dive.

LA County 1970, 52 years this May, still going very strong.

1642283035860.png

Congrats to the OP, no small thing.

I took my YMCA course in 1966 and a NAUI course in 1968. Same instructor. He would not give me my card until I could bench press a steel 72 ten times. Puberty helped with that. So, let's see, counting from 1968 though I had been diving on my own solo from my parents boat and shore for two years, I think I begin my 54th year as a diver. And, I have been an active diver each and every one of those years, some more than others.

James
congratulations to you also james on your milestone! a few years ago we (my family also dives). were at little cayman diving. we dove with a couple from the west coast that were in their early 80’ s . they said they were one ofvthe oldest diving couple in the U.S. they were a total blast to dive with!

Until now, I hadn't thought about how many years it's been since I was certified, but it happened in WV in 1966. I was 15 and the local YMCA was teaching basic SCUBA. It led to a lifetime of fun, new friends and travel around the world. My wife and I still dive and for the past 20 years, I've volunteered at The Florida Aquarium, doing maintenance dives, scientific exploration and taking guests Diving With the Sharks. That and skydiving have made retirement a lot of fun.

I started in 1957 as 13 year old, now 77. You do the math.

Are you now 50 years old or you have 50 years of diving?

The OP was pretty clear: "2021 was my 50th year as a certified diver. "
Not sure what isn't clear about that statement

Congrats to the OP. With a bit of good luck on staying in reasonable shape you can dive for likely all but the last few years of your life. It is easy on the knees and you can pace your self. I have dove with many 80ish folks. Personally once I hit 30 years of diving I came the the conclusion I finally know what I don't know. I am still learning of course at 45 years and having a blast. I do not push the limits due to my ages also. The decades of experience should enable you to avoid doing stupid things in stupid places with stupid people which is were most diving accidents happen.

Congratulations to you ! That's something I look forward.I'm 50 and I deem myself lucky because I've spent already 30 years of my life diving. Still 20 years to go to catch up with you.

@glennster

Congratulations well done :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom