2nd stage adjustment...Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spazzed once and just turned the mouth-piece down in the water...same effect. Thankfully, no one saw me.

I spazzed once and just turned the mouth-piece down in the water...same effect. Thankfully, no one saw me.
Why did it matter if somebody saw you? Regulators that did not have a Venturi lever but which did have a powerful Venturi such as the 1085 series USD/AL second stages (Conshelf for example) that is what we did, flip the mouthpiece downward or hold the thumb over the mouthpiece at entry.

James

Why did it matter if somebody saw you? Regulators that did not have a Venturi lever but which did have a powerful Venturi such as the 1085 series USD/AL second stages (Conshelf for example) that is what we did, flip the mouthpiece downward or hold the thumb over the mouthpiece at entry.

James
You don't have to be mean about it.

You don't have to be mean about it.
What?

I asked why it mattered to you? It was a question, I was curious as to your concern and why you thought you had done incorrectly?

And I provided a historic (and current) perspective as to why may divers flip the second stage as you had done.

James

Totally kidding. Sheesh...

Do I have to close this thread? Or ar you two going to get along now...:wink:
@divad. The ventury lever will do nothing for a regulator that free flows due to low cracking effort. They are two separate systems within the regulator.
I know what your saying though, we have all seen divers fighting with a free flowing second at the surface after jumping in.

Shutting off the venturi lever should be the easiest reaction to a free-flow.
Unfortunately the Venturi setting has no effect on the start of leaking of the 2nd-stage valve. Once the free flow is established, reducing the Venturi effect reduces the air flow, but instead acting on the knob loads the spring, impeding the free flow to start at all...

For me, cracking pressure adjustment is a must have if I am paying for the second stage (in addition to the venturi adjustment) for my primary and alternate second. It is very useful in different scenarios and will save a dive. Air leaks are usually fixed by the adjustment knob where free flows are generally fixed by the venturi adjustment.

I find an adjustment knob marginally useful and mostly more trouble than it is worth. It is useful when scootering (maybe) or to fine tune a balky reg that wants to free flow and it allows setting the cracking force perhaps a little lower (when servicing) knowing that I can stiffen it up. Mostly more trouble than it is worth because the adjustment knob is another thing and more parts to service, gets full of grit, sand, verdigris and sticks or jams up. Some are worse about that than others.

This is one of the rare occasions when I disagree with you :)

Back
Top Bottom