Question Do you take your BP/W on flights? And how?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a carry on backpack. All BPW disassembled. Wing, plate (it is a freedom contour so edges curved away from wing), dish towel, regulator inside harness, towel, cam bands along sides, inflator curved around top (gasket with computer and spare in save a dive kit) . Lights in boots at bottom of pack. Mask, computers, reel/SMB, etc tucked into depressions.

Roller backpack. Oceanic no longer sells it but all of my warm water gear fits in it. BPW (wing removed and cam bands line the inside of the pack. Inside that is the wing rolled up, mask, regs, 3 mil suit, fins (short HOG tech fins) strapped to the outside so if they complain I can quickly undo and shove them flat into the overhead or under the seat with my "personal bag". I can also get a couple t shirts and pairs of shorts in it. I wear my "good outfit" for any dinners on the plane. I tend to buy those 3 for 10 bucks t shirts at the destination and leave them or give them away before coming home.

The wimp of the security! How accurate it is.
I have a nearly empty tooth paste tube removed from my hand carry because the actual size of the tube was over 100ml.

I check mine in a big rolling duffel and leave it totally assembled (SS BP, wing and cam bands - no STA). It fits in the very bottom of my duffel and then I pile other stuff on top of it. You just just make out the straps in the below pic from my Socorro trip a week ago. It's under my wetsuit with fins/booties on either side. The other packing cubes and stuff sacks have clothes, neoprene/rashguards and toiletries in them. Make sure to pack a luggage scale too. I have a cheap one I got on Amazon and always shoot for 45# when packing/repacking. If you run into a miscalibrated scale it's not the end of the world since the packing cubes make moving a pound or three to another bag quick and easy.

bag.PNG

For travel to warm water I have worn the backplate fully assembled with a 20l dry bag in place of my tank using the tank straps, in that dry bag I can fit everything needed to dive. Now days I’ve switched to an outlaw b/c, everything in a nice compact package and I just check a bag and use a small Carry on for more delicate stuff. Covid has prevented me from using the outlaw so far.
I am another convert to the outlaw and I have bought a set of rogue waistbands in case I ever need to dive with pockets and have added a couple of stainless steel d rings to the shoulder straps. I love the simplicity, low weight, packing volume and modular nature of the outlaw

I ended up in a cave class a few years back with a hole in the bladder of my Evolve, no evidence of damage to the shell. I have to assume it got pinched against the STA or something in flight. I've been careful since since then to pack the wing well away from the plate or STA.

I have just worn mine on the plane as my backpack many times. Sometimes I throw it in my carry on. Flying first class I throw it in my checked bag as weight is no longer a concern.

For years we traveled with steel backplates. Everything disassembled. Finally got tired of the extra weight and got travel plates and have not looked back. We put everything into duffles.

Sidebar about packing regardless of the what things are put into. Everything goes into a series of stuff sacs. Keeps things more organized when security theatre riffles through things.

I've only travelled with my BP/W once, and I just packed all my dive gear in a rolling duffel and checked it.

I do see many (most?) of you here noted disassembling the BP/W for travel. I've not done that... is there any particular reason why one would do that? I'm still new with this gear, and I would hate to separate the wing from the plate only to arrive at my destination and not remember how to rethread the webbing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom