Question Do you take your BP/W on flights? And how?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For travel to warm water I have worn the backplate fully assembled with a 20l dry bag in place of my tank using the tank straps, in that dry bag I can fit everything needed to dive. Now days I’ve switched to an outlaw b/c, everything in a nice compact package and I just check a bag and use a small Carry on for more delicate stuff. Covid has prevented me from using the outlaw so far.

Might not work in some countries eg. Philippines which even regards 1st stage as an blunt weapon.
That does open you up to the whims of security, I once spent about 30 minutes in a discussion with security over a 4” crescent wrench.

That does open you up to the whims of security, I once spent about 30 minutes in a discussion with security over a 4” crescent wrench.

I got a laugh when I went to the keys. They opened and search my carry on (always when I bring dive gear). The person searching opened it and starting scratching his head and had to call a supervisor over........

Supervisor looked, told me she was jealous and wanted to join me on my obvious dive trip.

Usually there is only one winner.
Most of the time but in my case we both won, the 4” wrench was short enough based on their own rules, it’s a nice travel tool since it’s a 6” size head on a 4” body, would hate to lose it to one of those guys.

I travelled with my freedom plate bolted to the wing recently, about 3 weeks in total in checked bag. Perhaps I should think about unbolting it in the future, but I didn't see any obvious ill effects.

Since there is no STA, rethreading the cam bands is a disincentive to completely detaching the wing.

Might not work in some countries eg. Philippines which even regards 1st stage as an blunt weapon.

I got a laugh when I went to the keys. They opened and search my carry on (always when I bring dive gear). The person searching opened it and starting scratching his head and had to call a supervisor over........

Supervisor looked, told me she was jealous and wanted to join me on my obvious dive trip.
That's my experience as well. At airports near dive locations, like Malta, the Maldives or local Egyptian airports, the security employees see divers and dive gear on a daily base.

I was never refused to board a flight with dive gear in my carry-on. Most of the times, the officials ask specifically to see the batteries in the lights and dive computers.

At airports near dive locations, like Malta, the Maldives or local Egyptian airports, the security employees see divers and dive gear on a daily base.

This was Boston. Ft Lauderdale security knew exactly what is was and guessed I was heading home when I went through there.

Usually, I pack the plate in my carry-on backpack to save checked baggage weight, and pack the wing separately in the checked bag.

On a recent trip, though, there was just no way I could get everything into one checked bag and one carry-on, so I relented and checked TWO bags, one of which then easily accommodated a steel plate within the 50-lb. weight limitation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom