Part 2 - Advanced DSMB Deployment Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing like a limp, flaccid blob laying low on the surface. Similarly a tiny training SMB beloved of skippers who enjoy the challenge of looking around for a SMB in any form of moderate sea.

How about inflating the SMB with a drysuit inflation hose or a hose added to your regulator riot to diving (run it beside the SPG HP hose? That solves the flaccid blob problem and allows you to use a man sized SMB to please the skipper.

Large SMBs also provide greater lift should you loose your buoyancy or need to raise a large haul of scallops/anchor/whatever.

I’m not even sure where to start on this one so I won’t.

Time to got diving…

Think the North-East and cold-water sea divers would appreciate having fully inflated larger SMBs. They all have drysuit hoses.

Also worth mentioning that if you do a simple clip off to a spool in rougher water with the spool bouncing with the waves, it's very easy for the double-ender to break free and the spool will drop to end of the string -- especially if it's a metal spool, a-la Apeks.

Would be nice to see this demonstrated with a reel as there's issues when inflating, especially if using a hose or bottom-filled SMB inflated by your octopus.

BTW great visibility where you filmed it and you're nice and stable.

I’m not even sure where to start on this one so I won’t.

Time to got diving…
Just gonna leave this gem here

Attachments

• 8C4FAE27-A383-41DE-A537-C5E0ACC894E5.jpeg
    8C4FAE27-A383-41DE-A537-C5E0ACC894E5.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 212
Hi @divezonescuba
I know you spend a long time doing these videos.
If they were from a passionate average diver sharing his progression into the diving world, I would applaud.
But from a Tx instructor promoting his shop, I don't know if I need to laugh or to cry as the skills demonstrations are quite..."borderline".
I understand you are promoting a non-convential approach to diving and I do understand that as myself I do dive sometimes in an unorthodox way.
But some basic skills are ... just basic skills and sending a smb is, in my book, one of them.
It should be done in an effective way without all these unnecesary steps you are showing.
Sorry for being an anonymous as..... on the net

Going to have trouble fulfilling that roadside breathalyser test on the way home

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom