"Nitrox ready" or "O2" valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cythack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
About to buy my first tank (steel hp80). I am not diving nitrox (yet) and am wondering if I should get the "nitrox ready" or "O2" valve, and why. Thanks in advance for any advice!

It is hard to imagine that any valves being sold l aren't 40% Nitrox ready. Cleaned for pure O2 would be ruined the first time you filled it with air.

Have you thought about DIN or yoke? I personally think it is worth a few extra dollars for a convertible valve. My preference is the XS Scuba PRO valves.

It is hard to imagine that any are valve being sold l aren't 40% Nitrox ready. Cleaned for pure O2 would ruined the first time you filled it with air.

Have you thought about DIN or yoke? I personally think it is worth a few extra dollars for a convertible valve. My preference is the XS Scuba PRO valves.

The one I'm looking at is DIN with an adapter included....the nitrox ready vs o2 wasn't something I guess I had thought about. So then as an "option" I should just get the nitrox ready? Still pretty new to diving, sorry if it's a silly question :)

Still pretty new to diving, sorry if it's a silly question

It is silly not to ask sincere questions. This thread might be helpful:

I will say if you are just starting, no. Not worth spending money on it. At this time anyway.

If you ever start using Nitrox, most don't, you still don't need Nitrox ready valves if getting banked fills. Only partial pressure fills, and you will need the tanks and valves cleaned for the pure oxygen that is added first before being topped off with air. At that time get them cleaned and rebuilt.

I will say if you are just starting, no. Not worth spending money on it. At this time anyway.

If you ever start using Nitrox, most don't, you still don't need Nitrox ready valves if getting banked fills. Only partial pressure fills, and you will need the tanks and valves cleaned for the pure oxygen that is added first before being topped off with air. At that time get them cleaned and rebuilt.
I am just starting, however with the intention of diving in a professional capacity (archaeology) which means I need ALOT more rec experience, but already have higher than rec goals. So I'm thinking the specification of the valve at this point is probably not that big of a deal, and I'm overthinking it, as I will probably cycle through many "set ups" along my rec to tech journey. Thanks for helping me stumble through!!

This TekTip might be useful...

And this FAQ item...

Short answer... If you consider the cosmetics to be important, and maximum compatibility with pure oxygen is less of a concern, then we recommend choosing our standard Nitrox Ready DGX Premium Valves over the DGX Premium O2 Valves.

All scuba valves and cylinders sold new these days should be nitrox compatible and oxygen cleaned. Similarly all scuba shop compressors should be nitrox compatible simply due to the prevalence of nitrox these days.

The shops like nitrox as it is more expensive and they can charge for tank and equipment cleaning.

The nitrox course is trivial. Mostly theory and some practical on testing gas and labelling of cylinders. Only one very simple formula to remember.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom