Any info re Cancun death on 2021 Christmas Eve day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rx7diver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I read an obit on a Facebook post that referred to a diver dying on Cancun on Christmas Eve. There were no details given. My googling has turned up nothing so far. Does anyone else know anything about this?

TIA,

rx7diver

I read an obit on a Facebook post that referred to a diver dying on Cancun on Christmas Eve. There were no details given. My googling has turned up nothing so far. Does anyone else know anything about this?

TIA,

rx7diver
Hey there-
I’ve been looking for info about this- have found nothing but can’t stop thinking about the incident. From the description of the first responders, the man “Chris” (who was a part of our last minute put together on the boat dive group) - did in fact pass away. We met on the boat and I spoke to him at length on the ride to the wreck and he was FINE. I would really like to find his obituary. Facts I know: he dove quite a bit, last one was off Cozumel in Nov., single dad, truck driver, from New Mexico or Texas, was a little nervous about the entry, current and decent to 80ft. Said he always was nervous before he jumped in.

Hey there-
I’ve been looking for info about this- have found nothing but can’t stop thinking about the incident. From the description of the first responders, the man “Chris” (who was a part of our last minute put together on the boat dive group) - did in fact pass away. We met on the boat and I spoke to him at length on the ride to the wreck and he was FINE. I would really like to find his obituary. Facts I know: he dove quite a bit, last one was off Cozumel in Nov., single dad, truck driver, from New Mexico or Texas, was a little nervous about the entry, current and decent to 80ft. Said he always was nervous before he jumped in.
Welcome to Scubaboard. Sorry this accident is what brought you here.

So, you were on the boat with this diver, and he died after the dive? Anything more you can share with us here?

On Christmas Eve, off of Cancun, one member of my four person (plus dive master) group died. His name was Chris Mason. I met him on the boat ride out to the wreck. Chris descended first with us to 80 feet. He descended on the rope fairly quickly but not out of a norm for someone with good ears. I was slower by prob 30 seconds. Chris then looked around at the bottom and then went back to the line and started to go up. The dive master followed him quickly. I saw lots of bubbles probably at 50-60 feet then the two of them ascended. My 2 sons and I hung out on the bottom til another dive master noticed us and lead us around othe wreck. After our dive we surfaced and there was no boat because it had sprinted Chris to mainland Cancun. The remainder of the entire dive group of 15 people bobbed in the water for about 30 minute until the boat returned for us. A tiny boat from Isla Mujerus hung close by to make sure we were safe. once the dive master and Chris surfaced, a woman with training on the boat and the dive master did chest compressions and CPR on him all the way back to shore 20-30 min. He never regained consciousness on the boat. EMS met the boat and took him away. So I never heard definitively that he died. I just suspected it. His death was confirmed by someone in the dive community who saw his obituary. From my point of view, the dive master did all he could. He prepped us for the dive, gave clear instructions and attended to Chris as soon as he sensed distress. Unfortunately there was a tragic outcome to this dive.

Sad story…Thank you for your detailed posting.

Chris was a very good friend of mine in San Antonio where he live. I found the news of his sudden death in a post on Facebook. I was in shock and very sad. I had been looking for information on this. Thank you for posting this information I wish it had not happened he will be greatly missed.

On Christmas Eve, off of Cancun, one member of my four person (plus dive master) group died. His name was Chris Mason. I met him on the boat ride out to the wreck. Chris descended first with us to 80 feet. He descended on the rope fairly quickly but not out of a norm for someone with good ears. I was slower by prob 30 seconds. Chris then looked around at the bottom and then went back to the line and started to go up. The dive master followed him quickly. I saw lots of bubbles probably at 50-60 feet then the two of them ascended. My 2 sons and I hung out on the bottom til another dive master noticed us and lead us around othe wreck. After our dive we surfaced and there was no boat because it had sprinted Chris to mainland Cancun. The remainder of the entire dive group of 15 people bobbed in the water for about 30 minute until the boat returned for us. A tiny boat from Isla Mujerus hung close by to make sure we were safe. once the dive master and Chris surfaced, a woman with training on the boat and the dive master did chest compressions and CPR on him all the way back to shore 20-30 min. He never regained consciousness on the boat. EMS met the boat and took him away. So I never heard definitively that he died. I just suspected it. His death was confirmed by someone in the dive community who saw his obituary. From my point of view, the dive master did all he could. He prepped us for the dive, gave clear instructions and attended to Chris as soon as he sensed distress. Unfortunately there was a tragic outcome to this dive.
Thank you for posting this. I had be rattling on brain on what went wrong. Chris was a good friend of mine in San Antonio where he lived. He will be greatly missed.

1. ) no
  2. Thank you for posting this. I had be rattling on brain on what went wrong. Chris was a good friend of mine in San Antonio where he lived. He will be greatly missed.
    So sorry for the loss of your friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom