Question Teric battery ?s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This troubling, was about to order a teric, but it seems they bugs are not worked out,

I’m reading through the poll post now, some good info in there, curious if you use the charger that came with the Teric or a different one?
I use the supplied charger (and I plug in my phone). Compared to a 3rd party QI charger it heats the battery less (because of better coupling of the coils).

Also, the supplied charger shuts off the charge when the Teric is at 100%, which is healthier (continuing to apply current to a fully charged LiIon battery reduces its life). I don't think third-party QI chargers can do that.

Maybe I'm babying it because I'm on battery #3, but it's easy to do and will for sure extend battery life - by a lot or a little I don't know. On that subject, I think by far the most important thing to do is to protect the Teric from high temperatures - including wearing it on your arm in a hot sunny climate: it gets HOT really quickly, and heat is the battery killer.

Getting back to the OP's original question: if you're just as happy with the Perdix AI as the Teric, and happy enough with the display compared to the Teric, then I'd get the Perdix AI for the AA battery.

This troubling, was about to order a teric, but it seems they bugs are not worked out,
Well, Shearwater says they had a bad batch of Teric batteries from the manufacturer, and that the issue has been resolved, and I've never heard anyone complain of Shearwater being misleading or deceptive about anything. So I'd hope and expect that you could now count on the battery specs given in the manual. I don't regret having a Teric - I love it. The display may be dim in direct sunlight but during a dive it's the bee's knees.

Well, Shearwater says they had a bad batch of Teric batteries from the manufacturer, and that the issue has been resolved, and I've never heard anyone complain of Shearwater being misleading or deceptive about anything. So I'd hope and expect that you could now count on the battery specs given in the manual. I don't regret having a Teric - I love it. The display may be dim in direct sunlight but during a dive it's the bee's knees.
I called them the other day on a different question and the service was great and I will still probably get one. I prefer it over the perdix but seems the battery is a non issue with the perdix

I can get about 14 hours of dive time from a full charge until I recharge (between 20 and 30% when I decide it’s time) and I only use the supplied charge. Even when it’s needing a new battery I doubt you wouldn’t be able to get a full day of diving from a charge. Still my favorite, sold the perdix shortly after getting the Teric 3 years ago (?) and bought a second one.

Mine is brand new so perhaps not the best example, however:

74% right now after a single fast charge to 100% when I first unboxed it, 7 dives (at least 60 mins each) with AI turned off, minimal compass use and about 9 days time since that first initial charge. OC rec mode. Screen brightness medium. I used it a little as a watch for a few days too but stopped now as it's too big / bezel is too easily scratched.

I also played around in OC tec mode calculating some decompression stop times with different gasses which took about 4% off the battery at some point.

Impressed so far.

I called them the other day on a different question and the service was great and I will still probably get one. I prefer it over the perdix but seems the battery is a non issue with the perdix

Perdix takes AA batteries. Quite a difference from the rechargeable Teric battery.

Chiming back in on this thread with additional info.

I charged my Teric for the 2nd time on the 25/01/2022. The battery was at 12%

The first charge (had to charge it when I unboxed it) was 09/01/2022 - to 100%

That's 16 Days of use, 22 dives, with AI turned on after about 9 dives, and using the compass from time to time. Medium brightness

Total dive time so far from the Teric, 24h, 35 mins. OC REC mode.

I also played around in TEC OC mode calculating decompression times etc. which hammered the battery a little.

Glad I searched this topic before starting a new one.

I have a Teric and I was wondering... What is the best practice on charging / not charging? If you dive 2x a yr on vacations, let it sit until its time? charge it every month?

I have the same questions on the flashlight lithium batteries

I charge to 65% and let it drop no lower than 35%. This keeps it near 50% -- the optimal storage voltage for other types of lithium batteries. (I'm assuming that holds for li-ion.) I have a task on my to-do list recurring every 2 months. My charger runs at 1.2% per minute, and I just set a timer accordingly. My (new-to-me) second Teric seems to discharge less rapidly, so the recurrence will be less often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom