Looking forward to Belize next month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Stayin in Hopkins Bay as I'll be with my wife and two year old daughter (both are fish). It looks like there's a lot to do in Belize, not just diving. I didn't find much info on Hopkins Bay here (maybe I'm not so good at Googling the internets). But I'm sure I'll find something and book a few dives in advance. Not interested in the Blue Hole, just want to drain cylinders down to 500 psi looking at pretty fish and reefs, maybe a few pelagics if I'm lucky.

Planning on renting a car, so that if my daughter that is firmly entrenched in the terrible twos has any issues, we can always return back. I don't want to impose on tours/other people who paid good money.

In the south I can only think of Coxcomb Basin nature reserve. Keep your expectations of spotting actual jaguars low and it could be a fun day trip. It depends how mobile / luggable your daughter is. There is e.g. a nice waterfall to swim in, but it takes about 30-45 minutes of walking to get to it. There are various little factories making chocolate that offer tours; that might be a more family friendly option.

I have two step daughters that work in Hopkins resorts. One is Hopkins Bay, the other Parrot Cove.
Stuff to do, horse back riding, zip lining, hiking to Bocawina Falls, Cockscomb, Mayan ruins, cave tubing, kayak Sittee River, bird watching (lot of bird species in Sittee River basin) crocodiles......
Diving is good. Southwater Caye, and south of there has nice walls, lots of fish. Glovers Atholl is a bit farther but doable.

@Hank49

Southwater Caye is on my must dive list. Any operators your stepdaughters would recommend? I'll be bringing most of my own equipment. I don't know how regulated diving is in Belize. Does anyone allow for solo divers? I'd like to avoid dive ops that come up as a group as soon as one person gets low on gas. I don't mind paying extra for more bottom time.

Like Hank said, there's ton to see and do while based in Hopkins.

There's zip lining just across the highway a little to the south. Not my thing but for some reason unbeknownst to me other people seem to like it.

A little further to the south the Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary And Jaguar Preserve is great for nature trails. You can also tube down the river, which your two year old would probably love. As rivers go, it's more like a big creek with a slow current and a shallow bottom. Your chances of bumping into a Jaguar are pretty much less than zero. The chocolate factory is on the way in.

Continuing south, there's Placencia Village, which is a little more developed than Hopkins.

Keep going and there are two Mayan ruins sites. There's also a spice farm where you can ride on the back of a tractor. Your daughter would probably love that, too. If you get down that far, you should stop at Coleman's Cafe for lunch. It's an open air, serve yourself buffet kind of place with great food, friendly service and a very authentic Belizean vibe.

North of Hopkins, go up the Hummingbird Highway and there's The Blue Hole, a shallow swimming spot. The Hummingbird cuts through the Mayan Mountains and is a beautiful drive. If you make it to Belmopan, you can turn right and go see the Zoo and a little further cave tubing and zip lining. Or turn left and go see Actun Tunichil Muknal, not good for two year olds, and maybe go check out hip happening San Ignacio.

There's lots more but those are the highlights.

As far as dive ops based in Hopkins, it's been a while so things may have changed. I think Splash, which is based in Placencia and run by two very good friends of mine, may still have a satellite-type office in Hopkins. If not, you could call them to see if they would pick you up. I imagine there's someone based in Hopkins, but other than Hamanasi's in-house resort operator, I'm not sure. This may or may not extend your bottom time, though, depending on if the group has gone up. I frequently use my own guide because I don't like the herd mentality of constantly moving on to see what's ahead. I prefer to find a nice section of reef and just fin along slowly, watching the fish interact with each other and the reef.

Both Glovers and Southwater offer great diving and are well worth the trip.

Belize regulations require a guide be with you, so solo diving is out. Having said that, you can often arrange to have your own "guide," at least with Splash. What this means is that after you gain some level of trust with your guide, he or she is pretty much content to leave you alone and not ask for your air pressure every five minutes, lol. So it's kind of like a solo dive with a dive buddy along who may or may not point out cool stuff depending on what you want him or her to do. It's almost more of a function of a guide's personality and comfort level with you.

Thanks everyone! This is all helpful. I have learned that solo diving is out, but I'll be hiring a guide so that I don't have to come up with the group when someone hits 700 psi.

And a special thanks for recommendations of activities for my daughter. She's quite adventurous (I think so at least) with little fear.

I'm trying to line up Glover's Reef and South Water Caye before I get there. I might do some close in dives for a few mornings as well. I'm mostly diving these days Lake Washington to get used to my rebreather with some dives in the Puget Sound. I know it is guaranteed I'll be thrilled with all dives I have in Belize.

Share your diving thoughts when you get home. I'm thinking about a livaboard down there.

Share your diving thoughts when you get home. I'm thinking about a livaboard down there.
Down there = Belize, or Down There = southern Belize?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom