Any information on Corblin AOC-250 diaphragm compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gone for diving

Contributor
Reaction score
I was given this compressor, it was to be used for natural gas, but never was hooked up, does anyone have any experience with this unit?
I am going to go over it,
I have tried to find more information on this, this document seems to be the most in depth that I can find,

Anyone know who's a dealer etc.
Thanks for any information

Attachments

• 20220110_163018.jpg
    20220110_163018.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220110_163028.jpg
    20220110_163028.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220110_173430.jpg
    20220110_173430.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 84
Heck. Your looking at a 50 year old Corblin compressor with the head bolts missing.
From the photo alone your looking at just shy of a $30,000 bill in parts to re build property.
And you still have to find the box with the missing diaphragm and bolts still left in it.

For comparison a brand new 10 SCFM oxygen compressor, running at 2940 psi discharge pressure and at the same 440 RPM would cost a tad over $50,000 USD new and that would include the motor, control starters and drive assembly. Inlet and discharge pressure switches, inlet interstage and discharge relief valves inlet interstage and discharge pressure gauges, heat exchanger and gas cooler.

I can think of only two good features, first is that it was never used on methane natural gas or you wouldn't want to breathe near the thing, second it was free. Failing that it's an end of life scrap pump that died 20 years ago.

Head bolts are not missing,
And there is switch gear,
Gas cooler,

It supposedly was rebuilt,
But not trusting that,

I know this is not for some people,
I have 3 lathes and access to mills etc
This definitely gives me something to work with,,, the diagram is the main thing that worries me a bit,,, but will see what happens,
I not sacred of 20 year old past prime
Stuff,

20220111_132533.jpg
20220111_132541.jpg
20220111_132552.jpg

I assumed this was US made, but all the hardware is metric. Must be a Europe made I am thinking...

A question anyone know what rotation it should run?
There are no arrows on the pulley, and looking inside, there is no dipper, on the rod but has hole at the top of the rod to lube the main brg, and on the other side a hole on the bottom of the rod, (for oil to come out??)
Oil comes down the cylinder walls from the diagram, so that's why it has no dipper.
And it's not pressure lubricated..

I think it should spin CW looking at the pulley...
But not totally sure,
20220113_161751.jpg

I assumed this was US made, but all the hardware is metric. Must be a Europe made I am thinking...

A question anyone know what rotation it should run?
There are no arrows on the pulley, and looking inside, there is no dipper, on the rod but has hole at the top of the rod to lube the main brg, and on the other side a hole on the bottom of the rod, (for oil to come out??)
Oil comes down the cylinder walls from the diagram, so that's why it has no dipper.
And it's not pressure lubricated..

I think it should spin CW looking at the pulley...
But not totally sure,
View attachment 700726
The photos are rubbish you can't see anything in enough detail to give an informed opinion but at least its better than nothing. My take is its a French bare block on an American spec package for the following reasons
1. From what I can see its AB on that NEMA 4 Panel that would tell you its Allen Bradly and American
If we could see inside it would confirm American writing and components or European.
2. On the left side is a small Nupro Relief valve is fitted that is American and not Corblin supplied.
3. The missing motor mounting rails on that stacked frame is odd my guess is that if the lower original frame is European IEC frame spaced slots and the upper frame to the USA spec NEMA spacings
4. From experience it has the look of an American spec package using typical US components
the pipework looks from those poor photos to be 6000Lb class fittings imperial or metric would be the give away. Corblin in Europe use Bourdon for the instrumentation and Gensollen for the valves and again from the photos you can't tell but my guess is its Yankee
5. CW when viewed from the flywheel side
6. Again a typical American frame builder would fit the rotation arrow on the missing belt guard.
7. You could always measure the frame channel and box sections for size in inches or metric, same for the tubing I would expect for an American build the block would be metric and the threads NPT
8. Also the pressure switches if marked NEMA 4 or EEx d would be another give away.
9. Of interest is that small Petcock on the right hand side that also looks American.
10. The rust on the valve plate threads show its never been serviced IMHO

They are whitney valves and stuff like that, I assume it was American made,
But all the pump bolts and threads are metric, then I realize that the pump had French on it,, so that makes sense,

I can tell someone did add a new relief valve.

It did sit outside so that's why its rusty.

You mean this petcock?

20220115_220557.jpg

It's the valve that releases the oil, back to sump, you can unload the pump,

I rigged up a motor and pumped some air today, 3000psi no problem,
Turn it clockwise, was lubricating the rod well,
Thanks for the information

Your right, they want information these days and can't even present a decent photo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom