Can I fly with two empty Scuba cylinders to get them down to Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox_DiverNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, I was looking to get some advice on how I can get two of my 80 alum cylinders from NY down to Florida. I figured Id keep two tanks at a family condo so I don't have to keep renting when I go down. Im flying down and was wondering if anyone has flown with their cylinders and checked them? If checking empty cylinders is common what do you recommend I put them and wrap them in? If you don't recommend flying with the empty cylinders what is the next best option, not including driving them down? Thanks for the advice!

Hello all, I was looking to get some advice on how I can get two of my 80 alum cylinders from NY down to Florida. I figured Id keep two tanks at a family condo so I don't have to keep renting when I go down. In April im flying down and was wondering if anyone has flown with their cylinders and checked them? If checking empty cylinders is common what do you recommend I put them and wrap them in? If you don't recommend flying with the empty cylinders what is the next best option, not including driving them down? Thanks for the advice!
I travel with my AL19 pony everywhere I fly to dive. AL80's are a bit big for carry-on, but if you can find a bag or box for them, yes they can be checked. Many airlines have pretty onerous policies about transporting scuba gear ($$$), so you're best to hide them in something.

Remove the valves and put them in your other luggage, some blue tape over the necks should be enough to keep small children and rodents out. TSA says the tanks should be open for inspection, so I wouldn't use one of those plastic screw-in plugs new tanks come with

I travel with my AL19 pony everywhere I fly to dive. AL80's are a bit big for carry-on, but if you can find a bag or box for them, yes they can be checked. Many airlines have pretty onerous policies about transporting scuba gear ($$$), so you're best to hide them in something.

Remove the valves and put them in your other luggage, some blue tape over the necks should be enough to keep small children and rodents out. TSA says the tanks should be open for inspection, so I wouldn't use one of those plastic screw-in plugs new tanks come with
nice, these airlines will milk for any amount of money they can get its crazy. Thanks for the feedback! good to know flying and checking is a valid option

Valves off as noted above; secure tanks with tape over the opening then fly SW airlines which allow 2 pieces of luggage.

Check airline policy prior to flying.

Empty, no
Valve removed, yes.

Same goes for shipping. If the valve is on, it is a pressure vessel. Has laws and rules, hazmat, dangerous goods. Can't verify what is inside. Not allowed to check if there is pressure in it, etc.

Valve removed, it is just some random piece of metal. Can't hold pressure. Inspection is possible. No big deal. You can even take them as carry on (although the size of an AL80 may prevent that, but smaller are possible)

Valves off as noted above; secure tanks with tape over the opening then fly SW airlines which allow 2 pieces of luggage.

Check airline policy prior to flying.
Thanks for the help!

Empty, no
Valve removed, yes.

Same goes for shipping. If the valve is on, it is a pressure vessel. Has laws and rules, hazmat, dangerous goods. Can't verify what is inside. Not allowed to check if there is pressure in it, etc.

Valve removed, it is just some random piece of metal. Can't hold pressure. Inspection is possible. No big deal. You can even take them as carry on (although the size of an AL80 may prevent that, but smaller are possible)
Thank you for the help, much appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom