AI wrist choices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see you are in St Thomas. I am in SW Ontario as well. Is there a Canadian distributer for Ratio Dive Computers? (I know I can order one online direct from Ratio, but I would like to see what I am getting when there is this much money involved.)
Benthic Scuba & Snorkel Center in Windsor is a distributor. iX3M [Pro] Easy - Benthic Scuba

Thanks for all the info, but we kind of derailed the thread. I appreciate it but it might be time to "Return to your regularly scheduled programming." that the OP was concerned with.

Just to share my own experiences with some of the computers mentioned above: I have (well, had) an Aqualung i770r and a Teric. The i770r has great battery life (12 dives over 4 days and battery life barely dropped 10%). The screen is good but can be difficult to read if not at the right angle. Bluetooth export of dives to Subsurface and Diverlog works well. AI generally works well - I did lose the connection to the transmitter during dives a couple of times but this seemed to correct itself after a couple of minutes.
Unfortunately my unit developed a problem charging. I returned it to the dealer and they contacted Aqualung 2 months ago and have still not received a response from HQ to authorise a replacement or repair. In the meantime I bought a Teric. The screen is certainly clearer and I prefer the watch form factor. Haven't dived it yet so I can't comment on the other points just yet.

You probably already purchased your computer, but I have owned and used many dive computers mentioned above with over 40 years of diving and as a multi-agency rated instructor. The Garmin Descent Mk2i has an amazingly stupid design flaw. It BEEPS every five (5) seconds so loud that you can't miss it. After speaking with Garmin tech support, their response is: Its to support their multi-diver tracking of air using SONAR instead of the normal techniques to transmit a signal to the computer." Amazingly poor response for a $1500.00 dive/smart watch. I am NOW in the process of complaining to their engineering department wondering which bonehead thought this was a good idea to BEEP underwater, during a dive, every friggin 5 seconds right behind my ear (transmitter must be in an upright position for line of sight to the transmitter (per instructions!). After spending the money on it, I will not recommend this to any student until this is fixed. The Shearwater provides much of what you seek, however, I would also add in, Oceanic Pro Plus 4, air integrated with compass. It is a console but has MASSIVE fonts in their lettering, and its VERY easy to use (intuitive UI) screen. The Pro plus X has a color screen, but my 4 does everything I need. I would also add that Mares "Genius" is also excellent with full color screen and big letters, but I don't find it as intuitive as my Oceanic.
Hi, looking to purchase an AI computer. Have been looking at a Teric, I also get discounts on Garmin that price them both the same. My dive partner said the T1 transmitter beep would bother him, I haven’t heard it in person yet. Any others on a similar level to look at? I need a readable screen, only upgrading because the older style wrist computers are getting harder to read. Never used AI previously but figure why not.

Mostly warm water with a few Cozumel trips a year. Some local Colorado diving for continued education. Thank you

You probably already purchased your computer, but I have owned and used many dive computers mentioned above with over 40 years of diving and as a multi-agency rated instructor. The Garmin Descent Mk2i has an amazingly stupid design flaw. It BEEPS every five (5) seconds so loud that you can't miss it. After speaking with Garmin tech support, their response is: Its to support their multi-diver tracking of air using SONAR instead of the normal techniques to transmit a signal to the computer." Amazingly poor response for a $1500.00 dive/smart watch. I am NOW in the process of complaining to their engineering department wondering which bonehead thought this was a good idea to BEEP underwater, during a dive, every friggin 5 seconds right behind my ear (transmitter must be in an upright position for line of sight to the transmitter (per instructions!). After spending the money on it, I will not recommend this to any student until this is fixed. The Shearwater provides much of what you seek, however, I would also add in, Oceanic Pro Plus 4, air integrated with compass. It is a console but has MASSIVE fonts in their lettering, and its VERY easy to use (intuitive UI) screen. The Pro plus X has a color screen, but my 4 does everything I need. I would also add that Mares "Genius" is also excellent with full color screen and big letters, but I don't find it as intuitive as my Oceanic.
Thanks, I did get to hear the garmin in Cozumel and it would have bothered me. I am set on computers and also had cataract surgery and thankfully have 20/20 across the board vision, so that helped. Use a perdix 2, and just got a teric for a back up at a big discount close out price. So pretty much set moving forward. Appreciate your insight,

Back
Top Bottom