Buying First BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switched to BP/W wing recently. The added padding and buoyancy of a jacket style BC do not do much in terms of comfort underwater, but you need to compensate with adding weight. With the steel backplate, I only use 2 kg in trim pockets on the tank (1 kg in each pocket) to have a balanced rig. I dive a 6 mm wetsuit typically.

I quickly realized that those extra releases were completely unnecessary for my use case
+1. In my case, they were in the way of even putting a flashlight on a D-ring without it dangling.

I am all for back plate and wing,
And yes I am annoyed that I bought a jacket bcd first,

But there are some advantages with a jacket bcd, first if you wait and shop around there are good deals on used ones, like $100 or less,

Also it quite easily and quick to fit someone into it, or multiple people using the same bcd,

The OP said 35 dives in 5 years.... that's 7 dives a year!!! If that is the plan for the next few years, find a used bcd, for less than 150$ and go dive,
It will take close to 7 dives to tune in a BP/W wing, especially if they never dove one,
Hate to say it, but doesn't sound like a BP makes sense, in this situation,...

I can see how a BP/W would be preferred if flexibility is an issue (like the ability to go to dual tanks), but if the intended use is going to be purely recreational (single tanks), is there really an advantage to a BP/W over a back inflate BCD? I'm just getting back into this after a LONG break, and I don't recall there being such...animosity might be too strong of a word, but you get it...toward BCD's. I get the squeeze issue with jacket BCD's, but it seems like back inflates resolve that and also give you the benefit of integrated weights, maybe some pockets, etc.

I certainly believe there is.
Integrated weights-you can put pouches on a bp/w with the benefit that you can size them according to what you actually need for lead, but you will need less lead with a stainless backplate than you would with a padded back inflate so your net rig weight is considerably lighter with almost no increase in packing weight. That all said I actually genuinely prefer a rubber freediving belt because I can't stand moving weighted rigs from tank to tank.
Pockets-same deal, you can slide pockets onto the bp/w's that are usually much more useful than the normal jacket pockets, but pocket shorts are also a great idea.

Combine that against flexibility in fitting and overall durability and I truly can't see a reason why you would look at one over the other.

I can see how a BP/W would be preferred if flexibility is an issue (like the ability to go to dual tanks), but if the intended use is going to be purely recreational (single tanks), is there really an advantage to a BP/W over a back inflate BCD? I'm just getting back into this after a LONG break, and I don't recall there being such...animosity might be too strong of a word, but you get it...toward BCD's. I get the squeeze issue with jacket BCD's, but it seems like back inflates resolve that and also give you the benefit of integrated weights, maybe some pockets, etc.
Take a look at The Dive Rite Hydro Lite. It uses their Transpac harness. I would replace the bottom Velcro tank strap and put a proper tank strap though. HydroLite BC - Dive Rite

I have only came across one operator(Philippines) offered BP/W as an alternative to jacket.
I use BP/W but when I travelled without my own gear, I am more than happy to use any bc being offered.
How often have I seen rec diver using BP/W over last 20+ yrs? Less than 5%. Most of the time I was the only one on the boat/resort.

Hi Iamacchia,

I'm afraid you stumbled into the usual 'BP/W is best-discussion'. Every time someone has a question about a non-BP/W piece of equipment, something like this happens. They may be right (I have no idea, I never used a BP/W), but that's not the point. You are asking about specific BCD's and I'll try to give some help.

About 18 months ago, I was at a similar point where you are now: what to buy? I was looking at both jackets and wingstyle BCD's and BP/W's. For my own reasons, I chose the Axiom. It's sort of a hybrid, as (I have been told) the first air into your BCD will mostly be kept in the wing section by means of rubber bands. I cannot tell you anything else about the other wings and 'hybrids' as I have not tried them. I have used quite a few different jacket-style BCD's and most were OK but nothing more. Poor fit, bit constrictive. I am very happy about my Axiom. It's a great fit and not bulky, integrated weights work like a charm, tank band system is fantastic (as long as you use tanks with the same size) so I am happy with it and would recommend it. I think I have done about 20 dives with it.

My advice: if possible, try different models out in the water as what's best for me may not be best for you. For instance, I also tried the Hydros Pro and to me it was a horrible fit (I would never dive with it), although I know others who are very happy with it. As to jacket/wing/BPW, just choose what you want, for whatever reason.

I visit this part of the forum very rarely as I notice this constant BP/W-pushing annoys me. I am fully convinced that the pushers never drink, smoke, eat sparingly and healthily, avoid stress, exercise daily and have a perfect BMI. I'll quit my rant now and wish you best of luck.

+1. In my case, they were in the way of even putting a flashlight on a D-ring without it dangling.

There is a way to put lights on without getting in the way of quick releases. Clip light to D ring. Put a small loop of bungee on harness ABOVE D right. Put light through bungee loop to keep light in place. I do this in SM. Works well. May have to play with size of bungee loop to secure light well.

Sounds like to me, I am in the minority as far as preference. I absolutely hate back inflate, therefpre a backplate/wing would also not be an option (p[lus I do not want to carry MORE weight on scuba trips). That being said, I have owned 3 BCs in my 33 years of scuba (a jacket, followed by a back inflate and newly back into a jacket).

No matter what I did to try to correct the problem, my back inflate would put me face down in the water. I even stopped using the removable weight pockets and went ONLY with trim weights (5# for caribbean diving). Plus I realized that I never needed an airbag on my back to get horizontal underwater.

I got back into a jacket style BC, a cressi travel BC and i can not tell you how happy i was when I was at the surface fully inflated and RELAXING rather than fighting the old BC trying to drown me.

So for my body type, the type of scuba (vacation only) that I do, and what I expect underwater and at the surface, a jacket was the best option FOR ME.

For those that may reply, asking questions about what I tried, I will pre-emptively answer you: YES I TRIED EVERYTHING - EVERY... THING... And nothing worked, I knew it was time for a new BC. (Plus it was needed after losing 34# four yrs ago).

Good luck, I love my Cressi Travel BC

I am confused now. In the opening post, OP stated he would like a 'hybrid' BCD. What I interpreted as 'hybrid' (back-inflated, but a padded harness, with mostly pockets and integrated weights) let me believe he was all for back-inflated BCs.
I just now re-read the opening post. @lamacchia you say you tried the Axiom in a shop. The Axiom, however, is a regular wrap-around style BCD, not a back-inflate hybrid one. So, what is it that you want? A back-inflate BC (with padded harness or backplate/wing - that's another question altogether) to eliminate squeeze, or a jacket style BC, such as the Axiom that you liked? Dit you inflate it too? That's the only way you can tell if there is any squeeze...

So do you want the Axiom or similar, or a back-inflated BC? Since the Axiom isn't actually back-inflated. Hence my confusion at this point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom