Roatan Options with Family

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, we decided to stay in the West Bay area given our first trip and wanting to have options vs. staying just at one resort on the east side.

Would folks recommend we do one day of diving away from West Bay to get a different view of the reef or will we be pretty happy out of West Bay for 10 dives? If so, recommendations? Keep in mind we're diving with our kids / Junior PADI. So, that limits us to sites at 60ft.

Thanks!

I think you will be more than satisfied diving the west side for a first trip. I’ve had great luck snorkeling West Bay as well.

My gf was quite sick and had issues diving, but on a short snorkel at the south end of west bay (where the beach turns into rock) we found an octopus in 5ft of water and 2 turtles at 15ft. It made the trip for her and kept her diving.

I think you will be more than satisfied diving the west side for a first trip. I’ve had great luck snorkeling West Bay as well.

My gf was quite sick and had issues diving, but on a short snorkel at the south end of west bay (where the beach turns into rock) we found an octopus in 5ft of water and 2 turtles at 15ft. It made the trip for her and kept her diving.
Planning to go in April, staying at Seagrape plantation. Just wondering about Covid testing availability/cost, given requirement for PCR with (result) within 24 hours of departure...thanks,

Planning to go in April, staying at Seagrape plantation. Just wondering about Covid testing availability/cost, given requirement for PCR with (result) within 24 hours of departure...thanks,
there’s a Facebook Roatan Travel / Support Roatan group that has pretty comprehensive info and resources. They keep a fairly updated list of testing locations / cost / turnaround time for both PCR and Antigen. They also have a user guide for filling out the pre-check forms online. Looks like PCR is $100 US per person and Antigen is 30-50. Sound like Canada requires PCR?

Fantasy Island. Across the channel from CoCo View. Usually lots of vacancies there for a good reason. Lol
When I was at CocoView in Summer 2021, Fantasy Island (FIBR) had an armed guard (and nobody else) as the guest population...:wink:

I've heard many good things about Media Luna resort--pre-COVID, anyway. It's on the south side, east of CocoView (not a long boat ride)--some of the CocoView boat trips are just off of Media Luna). Check out their website here: HM Resorts / Media Luna - Home

So, we decided to stay in the West Bay area given our first trip and wanting to have options vs. staying just at one resort on the east side.

Would folks recommend we do one day of diving away from West Bay to get a different view of the reef or will we be pretty happy out of West Bay for 10 dives? If so, recommendations? Keep in mind we're diving with our kids / Junior PADI. So, that limits us to sites at 60ft.

Thanks!
We made two trips to Roatan last year (June & Sept) and have another booked in May. We stay on West Bay (Bananarama) and enjoy it. It was our first diving experience and we got certified there. Lots of great diving at less than 60'. As new divers, we spent a lot of time there. :)

Non dive related... West Bay beach in general was pretty quiet last year. I can see that it's a bit busier now that more cruise ships are coming in on different days. That shouldn't impact your diving at all, but something to consider if you're looking at any type of excursion outside of diving. I'm guessing you know this, but you'll see a few vendors (shirt/massage/bracelet) walking the beach. You might need to be politely firm if you're not interested. It's worth buying a few shirts though...

On West Bay, we like Beachers (good taco special); Sunset Hideaway (good lobster tail special); Bananarama (pizza). The fire dancers @ Bananarama on Sunday night are pretty cool. Worth checking out. If you want to chill out with some acoustic guitar live music, find out where Tommy Morris is playing. Talented and interesting dude. He plays several spots around the island, including on West Bay and West End. Sundowners on West End has some good live music too. It's easy to get between West End and West Bay on the water taxis. Lots of good eating options on West End.

webcam here: Live Cam West Bay | SkylineWebcams

there’s a Facebook Roatan Travel / Support Roatan group that has pretty comprehensive info and resources. They keep a fairly updated list of testing locations / cost / turnaround time for both PCR and Antigen. They also have a user guide for filling out the pre-check forms online. Looks like PCR is $100 US per person and Antigen is 30-50. Sound like Canada requires PCR?
Thanks very much for the info! Yes, Canada requires PCR within 72 hours of travel; if the test is positive, cannot return for 14 days...could be an expensive trip, but would really like to get some diving in.:cool:

If you're staying at Seagrape, don't worry about it, Mariella will take care of getting the tests. You can either walk over to the clinic (near the round about) or they'll come to SG. Take the test the day before leaving and results are available next morning around 10am.

If you're staying at Seagrape, don't worry about it, Mariella will take care of getting the tests. You can either walk over to the clinic (near the round about) or they'll come to SG. Take the test the day before leaving and results are available next morning around 10am.
Thanks very much for the info! Really helpful, and really looking forward to diving again...

Back
Top Bottom