Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are you reading, the Undercurrent report? Your post has little resemblance to mine. I do not see some of your details in the Undercurrent report either

Day 5 was Monday, it looks like they got their day 5 test early in the morning. Their boat was brought back to the dock after dive 1, after Divi was notified. It appears that everyone in the group was quarantined until after the retest. There is no information regarding additionl diving on Monday or Tuesday. The 11 that were maintained in quarantine were apparently, not allowed outside of their rooms, even on their patios.

Read the Undercurrent report if you are able.
Apologies if this was already discussed but did the article mention how long the divers that tested positive were required to isolate (by the dates it seems less than 10) and if they needed to retest negative to fly or were given a “documentation of recovery” to board the plane without testing?

Bonaire Testing Update: no more Day 5 test or self-test on arrival
==================
Announced last night Jan 13, press conference this afternoon, Jan 14.
"From Sunday 16 January 2022, travelers from high-risk countries will not have to take a self-test on arrival and they will not have to take a PCR test on the fifth day after arrival. These strict travel conditions have been made mandatory by Bonaire in the past to delay the arrival of the omikron variant to the island. Now that 90% of the infections on the island are caused by this variant, there is no longer any reason for these extra travel conditions."

They are really overwhelmed.
"Normally the call center receives 200 calls a day and 400 on busier days. The call center and Public Health, like other employers, struggle with employees who are in isolation or in quarantine."
"Due to the increase in the number of infections with the omikron variant, the call center had a record number of 1,030 callers last Monday. Public Health hopes the new approach will make a difference. "
"In the new approach, employees no longer call people in isolation or quarantine to see if they have any complaints and whether they can get out of isolation or quarantine. That is decided by the people themselves. They will receive an email with an explanation when they can be released from isolation or quarantine. The isolation generally lasts 7 days. People who had complaints can be released from isolation on the 7th day after their first day of illness if they no longer have complaints. The first day on which they developed complaints counts as day 0."

I'm trying to get a sense of what the answer to your question here might be.

I'm not judging the choices people make. My judgment wouldn't change anything for them anyway. Those people you alluded to when you expressed concern won't be on their 'best behavior.' They'll act in their own perceived best interest.

I'd like to know if that agenda coincides with the ethical high ground. If what's expedient for the individual coincides with what you deem the right thing to do, then it's more likely we won't have people cheating and going around with a potentially higher risk of spreading SARS-CoV-2.

In other words, right or wrong, what will (not should) people do?
Well, I guess what people may do with their on-arrival self-test is moot now that the requirement has been ditched. But I think my question was rhetorical. Many people would do the same sort of ethically questionable thing as you mentioned and which the guy in my anecdote apparently did. Now I'll put away the soapbox and get the popcorn out again.

So am I understanding correctly that it is all on the honor system now?

So am I understanding correctly that it is all on the honor system now?
No, there is no testing once you arrive.
Still need the day-before-departure test for the US, but that is not a Bonaire requirement.

What about a test to enter Bonaire?

Exactly: Do you have to take a test (while in the USA) in order to enter Bonaire?

Exactly: Do you have to take a test (while in the USA) in order to enter Bonaire?
This raises a lot of questions but mostly on the “self” level, will I travel to a place that has “givin in” to Covid? The issue for me is that I don’t know that “self“ answer, I’ve done all that I can medically to protect myself but I’m put off by the constantly changing requirements and unknowns. Maybe we should have “plague planes” to allow people to go home for isolation :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom