Dive light mount to a GoPro monopod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aerobics111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Not sure if this is a good idea but I have a GoPro monopod (El Grande) and I want to find a solution to mount a dive light to it. The main reason is I already use up one hand holding the monopod and I also need to operate the dive light to switch between spot and flood mode. Are there good adaptors out there?

Alternatively I can just use the hand strap that comes with the light and mount it to the same hand that is holding the monopod. I haven't bought the light yet so I'm not able to try it in person. Does anyone have experience how well this would work?

I'm aware of video lights that is designed to mount with a GoPro but then I need to carry another spot light.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 10.13.46.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 10.13.46.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 146
  • sola1200-angle.jpeg
    sola1200-angle.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 125
I suspect that in time you'll find you don't like the pole. Most people (including me) start with one of those sticks and move to something else such as a goodman handle. It's much easier to get steady video that you'll want to watch if you don't have the camera on a long pole.

I'm currently using a mount that I made myself but there are many in the world for sale. I suggest searching for "goodman" some combination of gopro and light. Those "hand strap" type mounts are usually labeled as goodman handles.

You can get adaptors for just about any combo of GoPro mount to "other" that you can think of at this point. What mouting options does your light have? 1/4-20 socket(s) would be easiest, but at the same time be thinking of how to keep it tightened. You can also get the ubiquitous 1" ball-mount to GoPro, if you have lights that have that mount.

Agree with Kelemvor though - the monopod is likely to not be great for a light. I can see it swinging around and blinding the user way too easy if you let it. Go for something goodman handle like, or a light with an integrated grip if you really want that kind of solution.

I've found spot lights to be horrible with a GoPro. The spot is magnified. makes photos worse than no light. Video no better.

Check out this setup: pistol grip

Are you picturing something similar? Your Sola light likely came with an adapter for ball mount that will fit the clamp end. It’s a lot more stable and adjustable than rigging up a kluge with your existing monopod.

The other nice feature is that you can flip it and just use it as a light handle when not shooting pics.

Lance

I did this for years until I switched to using a tray. But the contraption only fits the brand of pole called UKPro due to its thicker diameter. This does not fit the regular GoPole.

Attachments

• F4BB7C37-B4A4-4B94-A8B9-B76987F1BF5F.jpeg
    F4BB7C37-B4A4-4B94-A8B9-B76987F1BF5F.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 127
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom