Diving after smoking cessation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You want to take advice about drug use from drug dealers and addicts but not from a doctor?

This attitude and you aren't a diver yet? If I had a penny for every prospective diver who wants to go to 100m before he even started his basic course, I'd be a very rich man.
Listen, there is no reason to be an ass. All it meant is there is always a conflicting opinion, or evidence that claims can be or are exaggerated. Sometimes people of authority even make claims that are completely false. I came here looking for honest opinions and experience from some honest people that are not payed to be doomsayers, not harrasment from people looking to belittle me for seeking actual first hand knowledge on the subject.

And as for the 100m I have already been set straight on that as well. I was guided by a vacation dive review site that made it seem like people make the dive down all the time just for fun. Absolutely no indication was made of the extreme difficulty of some of the dives. And as soon as I was told of the true difficulty, did I act like a fool and scoff at the idea that I was in over my head? No, I was thankful to everyone that gave me a frame of reference and let me know just how lofty those expectations actually were.
No sir, the only one here with a poor attitude is you.

Listen, there is no reason to be an ass

So stop being one.

All it meant is there is always a conflicting opinion, or evidence that claims can be or are exaggerated. Sometimes people of authority even make claims that are completely false. I came here looking for honest opinions and experience from some honest people that are not payed to be doomsayers, not harrasment from people looking to belittle me for seeking actual first hand knowledge on the subject.

Honest and expert opinion is taken from the experts who have no personal benefit except public good and report what science and experience tells them, they are called medical doctors in this case. Go and read the publications that DAN puts out concerning this matter, it is all out there in the open.

Your quest to come on here find fans, and justify doing whatever you want and
continue smoking isn't working, the vindication forum is over there somewhere

No sir, the only one here with a poor attitude is you.

Oh, wow, I had no idea I was setting my sights so high. But it will be something I would like to work towards.
You did set a target truly very high!
As I said, in my long career I did meet several thousands of divers, many were professional or commercial divers with much more experience and skills than me.
But of those several thousands, just 2 were capable of going below 100m.
It is something feasible only by a small fraction of divers. For most of us, there is no real motivation to invest time, money, effort and to undertake serious risks for reaching such depth.
There is very little worth to be seen at those depths...
On the other side, I fully understand the desire to go beyond basic diving at shallow depth and with no deco.
Remaining in the realm of recreational diving, it is good to be trainined at an upper level, being able to use mixtures different from air (for example nitrox) and to plan and execute some light deco.
There are also some very useful specialties: rescue, deep (40m), night diving, caverns, drift, channels, UW video and photography, etc.
There are also dozens of not-so-useful specialties, but some people gets fun being taught also on them.
A small number of divers (not me) want to go even beyond, exceeding rec limits, and being trained to tech diving: caves, wreck, multi-gas deco, hypoxic mixtures, etc.
The higher the level, the smaller the number of people. Pareto rules!
But 100m is really too much for 99.99% of people!
Start slowly, enjoy the path, not expect to get satisfaction only when you reach the end. And stop when you have just a small doubt that it is enough for you. Every one has a different limit, which also changes with age, health conditions, etc. Going beyond your limit is very dangerous and absolutely not worth the risk.

Your quest to come on here find fans, and justify doing whatever you want and
continue smoking isn't working, the vindication forum is over there somewhere

Truth hurts!!

I just want to get wet, see fish and stuff, and not drown.

Thank you again for all of your help and insight Angelo! It seems that some of the articles I was reading early on were really leaving out some important things and were written for entertainment, not to be a realistic source of realistic dives to make on vacation! When I googled "top dives" for where I was going the article mentioned it being 100m and made it sound like people dive down there all the time just for the enjoyment and to see some cool bits of history. I had no idea it would have been comparable to diving down to see the Edmund Fitz my first time out. I am very glad to have met someone like you here to kindly point out the flaws in my plans and lead me in a much more realistic direction. I can only hope that my diving instructor will be just as insightful, patient and as open to discussion as you have been! And thank you everyone again for your support in my quitting smoking! So far so good!

@Alucard483 , was perhaps the article you did read written in an American magazine?​
In US they use a crap Imperial measurement unit system, and depth is usually measured in feet, not meters.​
Furthermore in not-technical journals often they omit the units, so perhaps tha article was describing top popular dives at 100 feet (30 m)...​
At this point you made all of us very curious: can you post (or link) that article here?​

@Alucard483 , was perhaps the article you did read written in an American magazine?​
In US they use a crap Imperial measurement unit system, and depth is usually measured in feet, not meters.​
Furthermore in not-technical journals often they omit the units, so perhaps tha article was describing top popular dives at 100 feet (30 m)...​
At this point you made all of us very curious: can you post (or link) that article here?​
This is a really good point that I overlooked. Lots of see at 100 FEET, more so than 100 METERS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom