Rec or Tec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most computer manuals are written by engineers and lawyers and more frustrating than informative. Shearwater manuals look like they were written by divers for divers with a bone tossed to the lawyers now and then. Also, shearwater computers are intuitive and easy to learn to operate. I'm not dumb, I have a technical degree and my first computer was a two button Oceanic Veo. One of the most pain in the butt things I have tried to use to this day with all the button combinations to do easy stuff.
My first Shearwater was/is the Predator. The dealer handed it to me and within 15 minutes of playing with no manual I was changing and programming gasses, selecting GF's, and customizing the screen for me.
I subsequently acquired two Perdixes that I just sold as I am cutting back on the diving I needed them for.
I used them several times as loaners for open water students who after usually a half hour of instruction understood their operation and what they were seeing.
Other than the price until the Peregrine came out, Shearwaters are better for new divers IMO. Now with the Peregrine, I only recommend cheaper basic computers to those I know can't afford or don't want to spend the money on a Shearwater.
I have some students who have no plans to go beyond 30 ft. For them even though I have computers for classes, I tell them they can be just fine with an analog depth gauge, watch, and tables which I also teach in detail.

I haven't dived for 2 yrs and before that I only came across SW on very few occasions.
Any entry level computer is good enough for any kind of recreational diving.

I don't say it's not very nice and easy to operate. I'm just asking the question of whether features that one doesn't need - or worse - doesn't fully understand increase risk...
I don’t see how it increases risk. Using features of a computer that one doesn’t fully understand is not a good idea, and certainly not unique to the Perdix.

I dive a Perdix AI. I don’t do any Tec dives. I dive my computer in Rec Mode, and use single gas Nitrox mode unless I’m bringing a pony along that has a different gas than my main tank.

The SW interface is so much easier to use than many Rec computers, so might even be safer as it’s intuitive and easy to understand what it’s telling you.

I haven't dived for 2 yrs and before that I only came across SW on very few occasions.
Any entry level computer is good enough for any kind of recreational diving.
Recreational doesn’t suggest new diver. You can still have deco situations, some dives in Cozumel for example with deeper swim throughs and such. Having a user friendly quality computer doesn’t hurt.

Why get a poorly thought out recreational computer that has poor customer service when for the same price you can get the well thought out Perdix AI for the same price?
Exactly. That was largely my thought process. I’ve only had AI computers, so that was a must for me. I also wanted a full color screen. Compass was take it or leave it for me. I also wanted a full color easy to read display, and Bluetooth. Easy battery changes / rechargeable batteries was another big one for me.

Not much out there checking all those boxes that would be cheaper than the Perdix AI. I also had a working PPS transmitter as well, so the SW was actually cheaper than ScubaPro or Suunto alternatives.

Sure, if you have all the accessories already and you have a wishlist that has only one possible outcome, you have very nicely justified buying a Perdix AI.

That was not the question, however.

Don't get me wrong. I like nicely engineered stuff too. I have just seen too often that for instance buying an avalanche airbag for backcountry skiing was being confused with being able to judge and mitigate risk in avalanche terrain. 'The airbag will save me' kind of reasoning. (It doesn't necessarily.)

Sure, if you have all the accessories already and you have a wishlist that has only one possible outcome, you have very nicely justified buying a Perdix AI.

That was not the question, however.
I did answer, or at least disagree with your assumption in an earlier post. Yes, my Perdix does have more options than my Oceanic. For the same gas settings, the Perdix will likely be more conservative than the Oceanic. Certainly not less so. DSAT is fairly liberal, so assuming I set my gas mix right, I don't see how I could set up my Perdix in a way that makes it less safe than the Recreational marketed Oceanic.

I don't hate the Oceanic interface, but it is certainly far less intuitive than the Perdix. So, being less intuitive, the Oceanic is easier to set wrong.

However, incorrect settings has nothing to do with the computer. That has more to do with the diver not knowing what they are doing with the settings. If you don't know how to operate a device, you probably shouldn't be pushing any buttons on it to begin with.

Besides - what man actually reeds the manual before jumping in (literally)? :wink:
Do you take your regulator apart and tinker with it without knowing what you're doing? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom