Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I write to you first handed because this happened to me. I came back to Aruba from the US and tested Poss for Covid. I have all 3 shots and have covid 2 times before the shots. So I asked Bonaire what I need to do. I had my Bonaire trip already booked for Jan 6. Bonaire sent me a nice e-mail and said. The rules have changed for you, if you have been poss for covid. Aruba made me quarentine for 5 days. Then I was free to go, if my symptoms were gone. They were. So Bonaire said you need to go to the Health Dept and get a letter saying you are recovered and don't have any symptoms. So I did that. Then they told me, if you do a PCR test anytime after having covid, you are going to test poss. So they then allow you to take a antigen test and if you get a neg 24 hours before you arive, then you are good to go. But thats from Aruba. I believe from the States, its 48 hours. But when you fill out the health app and check that you have had covid in the last 8 weeks, they make you download the cert from the health dept and all your vaccines. So a really smart thing to do, is go get tested 10 days before you come. If you have had covid in the past 8 weeks and maybe didn't even know it, you will test poss. So do the quarentine deal and test with antigen and you will be able to come. If you wait until the day or 2 before you travel, and you test poss, the trip is over for you. Thats just my 2 cents!!! Aruba really gave me a rough time because I never had a PCR. So I showed them the e=mail from Bonaire and I had to talk my way thru 3 supervisors, but I made it to Bonaire. But being here for 6 weeks was well worth all of the trouble. When I got to Bonaire and showed them all the paper work, they never said a word. Just: I hope you enjoy Bonaire.

Wow, that's quite an ordeal! Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to do a PCR test 10 days before departure to make sure it's negative. If I test positive, I'll arrange to visit my doctor and get the note after 5 days of non-symptoms.

At this point though, I think I'll reschedule to May. We should be past the Omicron peak by then and reasonable protocols/procedures should be in place that make things go a lot smoother.

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your time in Bonaire!

Warm regards,
Tom

New graphic available to help explain the difference between isolation and quarantine:

1642008219280.png

Reactions: Dan
Related to earlier discussion. This study just came up in my inbox. Number of reported false positives was much higher then I expected and in this case was thought related to manufacturer issues.

“There were 903 408 rapid antigen tests conducted over 537 workplaces, with 1322 positive results (0.15%), of which 1103 had PCR information. Approximately two-thirds of screens were trackable with a lot number. The number of false-positive results was 462 (0.05% of screens and 42% of positive test results with PCR information). Of these, 278 false-positive results (60%) occurred in 2 workplaces 675 km apart run by different companies between September 25 and October 8, 2021. All of the false-positive test results from these 2 workplaces were drawn from a single batch of Abbott’s Panbio COVID-19 Ag Rapid Test Device.”

Related to earlier discussion. This study just came up in my inbox. Number of reported false positives was much higher then I expected and in this case was thought related to manufacturer issues.

“There were 903 408 rapid antigen tests conducted over 537 workplaces, with 1322 positive results (0.15%), of which 1103 had PCR information. Approximately two-thirds of screens were trackable with a lot number. The number of false-positive results was 462 (0.05% of screens and 42% of positive test results with PCR information). Of these, 278 false-positive results (60%) occurred in 2 workplaces 675 km apart run by different companies between September 25 and October 8, 2021. All of the false-positive test results from these 2 workplaces were drawn from a single batch of Abbott’s Panbio COVID-19 Ag Rapid Test Device.”

Hmm, VERY interesting!
Makes one think you ought to take your own antigen tests to Bonaire....one DIY for the arrival test, and one tele-proctored for the day-before-departure test.

Reactions: Dan
Per Discussion and conclusion in article:

"The overall rate of false-positive results among the total rapid antigen test screens for SARS-CoV-2 was very low, consistent with other, smaller studies.3 The cluster of false-positive results from 1 batch was likely the result of manufacturing issues rather than implementation."

Hmm, VERY interesting!
Makes one think you ought to take your own antigen tests to Bonaire....one DIY for the arrival test, and one tele-proctored for the day-before-departure test.
I'm there next month for 3 weeks. I will do their test upon arrival, the manditory 5 day PCR test and a manditory antigen test day before departure.
Only if positive I will retest to verify (bringing proctor home test since I am heading for Roatan the next month).

Per Discussion and conclusion in article:

"The overall rate of false-positive results among the total rapid antigen test screens for SARS-CoV-2 was very low, consistent with other, smaller studies.3 The cluster of false-positive results from 1 batch was likely the result of manufacturing issues rather than implementation."
Yes, the false positive rate for all testing was quite low as expected. What I was not anticipating was the percentage of false positives among the total of positive tests at 42%. To me that is not insignificant and much higher than I expected.

And the cause I listed, manufacturing error, is also more troublesome to me then the other possibility of human error.

Yes, the false positive rate for all testing was quite low as expected. What I was not anticipating was the percentage of false positives among the total of positive tests at 42%. To me that is not insignificant and much higher than I expected.

And the cause I listed, manufacturing error, is also more troublesome to me then the other possibility of human error.
Yes, but that percentage is based upon the infection rate (positively rate) at the time. If the infection rate was higher, the number of positive positives would be higher thus influencing that percentage.

What is always a concern is a faulty batch. Assuming a lab (island) purchased Thousands, They would likely have tests all from the same batch. That is why a retest using a different batch (home proctor supervised) may be of value. The issue with these are the potential LONG hold times that have been reported. Thus, it is my back pocket test (since I have multiple trips planned and these tests are in shortened supply + stable internet for hours may be an issue).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom