Seasickness after Nissen Fundoplication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Morning all.

I'm two years post NF surgery and happy to report that I've been diving without any apparent issues.

My dives have been shallow (<40ft with most <20) beach dives and everything has gone smooth. This Feb I'm hoping to head to do some fossil dives off the coast of Florida from a boat.

One of the results of the NF surgery is the inability to vomit and if I recall correctly my surgeon made it clear that if I ever began to retch (as in the case of food poisoning and I'm assuming Seasickness) then it was a call to 911 to get me to the ED.

Years ago I had recurring seasickness on big-water boats that ended in vomiting even in relatively calm seas. Aside from small-water fishing boats I haven't been on a boat to any great extent since so I don't know what my current susceptibility is to sea sickness.

So, now I am wondering whether the potential for Seasickness makes it prudent for me to avoid boat dives altogether. I am also wondering if the need for an immediate trip to the ED upon retching was simply to avoid post surgery damage and if that need still exists 2 years post-op. Lastly, aside from the OTC prevention items, what are some of the "industrial strength" seasickness prevention options available.

This is an interesting topic. A fundoplication essentially is a wrap of the upper stomach around the lower esophagus to prevent acid reflux. The concern with retching and vomiting is I think mostly related to early post op as the stitches may pull out. By 2 years should be much less of an issue.

Not all wraps are 360 degree and furthermore, at 2 years out, there has probably been some normal loosening of the wrap. Can you burp? If so, theoretically you could vomit.

There are prescription grade antiemetics like ondansetron and granisiton potentially available but they all can produce significant drowsiness.

I think you should consult DAN, your surgeon or a dive physician; this can't be the first time this issue has come up.

Morning all.

I'm two years post NF surgery and happy to report that I've been diving without any apparent issues.

My dives have been shallow (<40ft with most <20) beach dives and everything has gone smooth. This Feb I'm hoping to head to do some fossil dives off the coast of Florida from a boat.

One of the results of the NF surgery is the inability to vomit and if I recall correctly my surgeon made it clear that if I ever began to retch (as in the case of food poisoning and I'm assuming Seasickness) then it was a call to 911 to get me to the ED.

Years ago I had recurring seasickness on big-water boats that ended in vomiting even in relatively calm seas. Aside from small-water fishing boats I haven't been on a boat to any great extent since so I don't know what my current susceptibility is to sea sickness.

So, now I am wondering whether the potential for Seasickness makes it prudent for me to avoid boat dives altogether. I am also wondering if the need for an immediate trip to the ED upon retching was simply to avoid post surgery damage and if that need still exists 2 years post-op. Lastly, aside from the OTC prevention items, what are some of the "industrial strength" seasickness prevention options available.
The best person to ask this question of would be the surgeon who performed your procedure. I'd recommend that you reach out to him/her and schedule a consult, via telehealth if nothing else.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom