Buying First BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamacchia

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

First-time post from a new member here with about 5 years and 35 dives under my belt. All I've done so far on trips (exclusively Caribbean/warm water) is rent equipment, and now it's getting time for a purchase. I've mostly used the Cressi Start Pro when I've rented equipment and it's fine, but I want to make sure I do enough research before buying. I've tried on an Aqualung Axiom at a local shop, and really like the idea of a hybrid between a jacket and a back-inflate or backplate-and-wing. That said, is the Axiom the best hybrid? Are there jackets that aren't as constricting as the Start Pro? It's hard to believe I found the right one the first time I tried something on, but I guess it's possible.

Looking for any and all input on the topic. As far as budget, a wise man once told me "find the Lexus, find the Yugo, then buy the middle."

Thanks very much!

as I said in your other thread, begin with the end in mind and buy once cry once.

What about this "hybrid" design is attractive to you? Also what is a "hybrid" bc, I'm genuinely not familiar with the concept.

What are your ultimate dive goals?

All jackets are restricting, it is literally how they work. No getting around it. Buy a BC with a crotch strap though, it's the most important thing on a rig for comfort at the surface.

Some jacket style BCs wrap around tightly and when inflated restrict your waist. A hybrid BC is a comfortable harness (with padding, quick release, and easy to adjust straps, pockets maybe, some integrated weight system), but all the inflation is on the back, like a wing. So: the comfort of a jacket style BC, the inflation and position of the bladder like a wing. Some brands call the 'hybrids', some just call them 'back-inflation'.

Examples: Aqualung Axiom, Zuma, Rogue, Outlaw, Mares Magellan, Bolt, Scubapro Seahawk, Hydros Pro, etc. Some of these are super lightweight, made especially for air travel. Nothing wrong with that though.

Just make sure you try them on and inflate them as well. That's the only way to feel if they fit you right and don't restrict in any way when inflated.

Some jacket style BCs wrap around tightly and when inflated restrict your waist. A hybrid BC is a comfortable harness (with padding, quick release, and easy to adjust straps, pockets maybe, some integrated weight system), but all the inflation is on the back, like a wing. So: the comfort of a jacket style BC, the inflation and position of the bladder like a wing. Some brands call the 'hybrids', some just call them 'back-inflation'.

Examples: Aqualung Axiom, Zuma, Rogue, Outlaw, Mares Magellan, Bolt, Scubapro Seahawk, Hydros Pro, etc. Some of these are super lightweight, made especially for air travel. Nothing wrong with that though.
we will have to agree to disagree on the "comfort" of a jacket style harness though

we will have to agree to disagree on the "comfort" of a jacket style harness though
Personally, I switched to backplate and wing. The bulkiness of most jackets is what put me off. And the waist squeeze too. So I would go back-inflated anyway. But that's me. Cold and temperate waters mostly, thick suit... nice to have that 2.5 kg steel backplate directly on my back.

I wish someone would have told me about a backplate & wing when I started (bought a jacket) or later after that wore out (went with hybrid/back-inflate). I'm now finally using a BP/W: a minimalist back-inflate design without unnecessary (IMO, obviously) padding or clutter.

I wish someone would have told me about a backplate & wing when I started (bought a jacket) or later after that wore out (went with hybrid/back-inflate). I'm now finally using a BP/W: a minimalist back-inflate design without unnecessary (IMO, obviously) padding or clutter.
Yup, love it too.

Buy a BC with a crotch strap though, it's the most important thing on a rig for comfort at the surface.
My only disagreement -- can't stand those and stopped using them (on a few BCs that had possessed them) at just about the same time that I gave up on the use of beaver-tails, on wetsuits; those, and also those upper secondary BC buckles at the breast bone, which I had often forgotten to detach . . .

Interesting! Padding tends to bring positive buoyancy that has to be offset by adding more lead weight, and since many divers either wear a wetsuit (sufficient 'padding' that a backplate isn't apt to bother them) or otherwise don't find the need for padding, it may not be desirable.

I take it the hybrid approach lets you buy a package system without the multiple decisions of the BP/W route (e.g.: stainless steel vs. aluminum, deluxe vs. single piece webbing harness, which size wing) at the cost of modularity/customization (e.g.: swapping to a larger wing if you move from tropical to cold water and/or tech. diving and start using steel tanks, doubles, etc...).

I'm not pushing for a particular option, just hope to clarify the trade-offs involved with each.

Back
Top Bottom