Training with multiple organizations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc_Dave

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been discussed. I did search several times and could not find anything. Can people certified with one agency take classes from another? My oldest child and I are PADI and she wants to take more classes as she progresses. My youngest wants to certify this year but wants to do it with another friend at a NAUI location (they offer courses specifically for kids her age). Would she still be able to take more courses with us as we progress.

Thanks for the help!

No problem at all. At the recreational diver level, the certifications are pretty much interchangeable. I did YMCA Open Water, NAUI Advanced, and PADI Rescue, DM and Instructor.

Once you hit Divemaster (not Master Diver, which is different), you're locking in a bit to one agency and will have extra hurdles if you switch. But unless you want to be a DM or Instructor, don't sweat it. Find a good instructor regardless of agency.

No problem at all. At the recreational diver level, the certifications are pretty much interchangeable. I did YMCA Open Water, NAUI Advanced, and PADI Rescue, DM and Instructor.

Once you hit Divemaster (not Master Diver, which is different), you're locking in a bit to one agency and will have extra hurdles if you switch. But unless you want to be a DM or Instructor, don't sweat it. Find a good instructor regardless of agency.
Thank you very much! The oldest is determined to do something with diving as a career. The youngest…who knows! I just didn’t want anyone left out or be stuck seeking the same class through different agencies.

For strictly Non-professional - No problem at all. Notice my training bio:

Scuba Diver - Open Water: YMCA - May 1988
Advanced Open Water: PDIC - August, 1996
EANx Diver: NAUI - January, 2012
Scuba Rescue Diver: NAUI - June, 2012
Master Scuba Diver: NAUI - September 2013
Technical EANx Diver: NAUI - May 2016
Decompression Techniques Diver: NAUI - May 2016
Ice Diver: SDI - March 2017
Visual Inspection Procedures: SDI - June 2017
Air Fill Station Operator: SDI - June 2017
Technical Gas Blender: PADI - October 2017
Solo Diver - SDI - October 2017
O2 Service Technician - TDI - November 2017
CPROX Administrator - SDI/TDI - March 2018
Project AWARE - Dive Against Debris - PADI - April 2018
EDGE/HOG Equipment Service Clinic: TDI - April 2019
Deep Six Equipment Service Clinic: TDI - April 2019
Helitrox Diver: NAUI - in process 2015.....

my classes were more about "with whom and about what" than agency....

It shouldn't be an issue to switch agencies but the more critical and most important factor will be what agency/instructor will give you better and more comprehensive training at the respective level of certification. No one certification agency is more "accepted" than the other in the world. Your choice of the instructor is most critical and agency comes second (usually).

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I did search several times and could not find anything. Can people certified with one agency take classes from another? My oldest child and I are PADI and she wants to take more classes as she progresses. My youngest wants to certify this year but wants to do it with another friend at a NAUI location (they offer courses specifically for kids her age). Would she still be able to take more courses with us as we progress.

Thanks for the help!
After taking a CMAS one star course, I went on to attend PADI AOWD, then CMAS **, then PADI Rescue Diver, then CMAS ***, then NAUI Assistant Instructor... So yes, it is possible to mix and match.

Back
Top Bottom