I'm being referred to a different SDI training facility.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does this injury have to do with diving?
Not so much diving, but at the time I felt unsafe ascending/descending the metal stairs to get to point of entry where the training is done.

To be noted, I would rather a dive trainer to refer me to another trainer or shop if that trainer is not comfortable training me.

I would rather a dive trainer to refer me to another trainer or shop if that trainer is not comfortable training me.
Okay, that sheds a little light on this...

No one told me to buy anything, my purchases are my own.
In my own defense, multiple sessions were wasted on replacing previously bought scuba gear that leaked or was too big for me, except for diving boots for dry suit. More than one session was devoted to weight trim and my original instructor had too much on his plate to continue training with me.
Finally when I actually started my skills about 3 weeks ago with further delays due trainer's health I' have yet to complete; underwater communications, reading/understanding computer, understanding computer functions, BCD removal / replace/ surface / depth, hovering, controlled ascents, alternate air use w/buddy, controlled swimming ascent, seated entry, back-roll entry and compass.

The sessions were 2 hours one day week, former instructor had no prior experience as a trainer before me. I started 06/21 so it's been over six months since I began, but there were not training sessions every week.
who bought the gear that needed replacing?

Did the instructor you are complaining about wasting time size you for the gear that didn't work? Suggest you buy it? If yes, then I get the complaint, if no, then they aren't at fault at all, in fact nice of them to help

who bought the gear that needed replacing?

Did the instructor you are complaining about wasting time size you for the gear that didn't work? Suggest you buy it? If yes, then I get the complaint, if no, then they aren't at fault at all, in fact nice of them to help
No, no, no to everything! I’m not complaining about anyone and no one is at fault. Circumstances have delayed my OWC. Clear and simple. As I said the instructor was not comfortable working with me out of concern for my health yet was willing to refer me elsewhere. If I were a lost cause, she would have not given me an opportunity to continue OWC.

Perhaps premature but thinking ahead, any thoughts about completing OWC in Whiting NJ late spring?

Perhaps premature but thinking ahead, any thoughts about completing OWC in Whiting NJ late spring?

I’m still not exactly sure what your challenges are with getting this done. You had an instructor that seemed to have health issues, then you’ve got some health issues going on, and you are having issues doing skills in the pool, as far as I can tell. What exactly is going on? It’s difficult to tell from your posts.

I had a rocky beginning myself, but you seem to have issues that go far beyond what I did. I’m all for cold water diving and training, but I think we need to make an exception in your case. Go down to the Keys and do a private class. Shallow, warm water may do the trick for you. Then go back home and do drysuit and nitrox.

Too many things going on at one time. Forget the gear for now and concentrate on the class, use what the shop has to offer for their classes. We supply the gear except for mask, snorkel and fins "for the pool we will even supply this" it is included in the price of the class. Worry about the gear after you have got through the class and are not stressing over the skills. Also would like the see the answers to boulderjohn's questions. Also the comment about not revealing the skills to the students baffles me some as they are gone over in the course work and we brief the students on what skills we will be going over in the pool and at the ocean multiple times.

Too many things going on at one time. Forget the gear for now and concentrate on the class, use what the shop has to offer for their classes. We supply the gear except for mask, snorkel and fins "for the pool we will even supply this" it is included in the price of the class. Worry about the gear after you have got through the class and are not stressing over the skills. Also would like the see the answers to boulderjohn's questions. Also the comment about not revealing the skills to the students baffles me some as they are gone over in the course work and we brief the students on what skills we will be going over in the pool and at the ocean multiple times.
Apparently he had a VERY inexperienced instructor.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom