Malta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alucard483

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So myself and a few friends have a trip planned for Malta at in September. We have decided that we really want to go diving. Cirkewwa is one of the spots we have planned for sure but we would really like any first hand input any of you might have. I have been told that Malta has a good mix of easy through difficult dives. In the 7-8ish months that I have ramping up to the trip I plan to get myself certified here in the States and try to get as much experience under my belt as possible so I might be able to make some of the more difficult dives and see some really cool stuff.

Eight months is not long to build up experience for "difficult" dives. Focus on getting certified and having fun throughout the process, enjoy some diving in the next few months, maybe take an advanced class and shoot for easier dives in Malta. They will be fun. You can always go back in a few years and do more advanced dives when you have appropriate experience.

Malta had something for everybody. There's easy dives and very advanced dives. If you manage to take an advanced course that will open up options. You could also look to do that there. I've been there 5 times already and every time I've tried new dives so you will have lots of options. As mentioned above, go diving over the next few months and enjoy yourself. It's a fun hobby and you'll keep learning and experiencing more.

Eight months is not long to build up experience for "difficult" dives. Focus on getting certified and having fun throughout the process, enjoy some diving in the next few months, maybe take an advanced class and shoot for easier dives in Malta. They will be fun. You can always go back in a few years and do more advanced dives when you have appropriate experience.
This is my thought process exactly, I plan on getting as much in as I can and hopefully get that advanced cert so I can do more than shore dive. A tech cert IS the end goal, but I doubt that can be accomplished over one summer so I will have to settle for what I get.

I'm just back from Malta last weekend, and it is mainly shore diving. If you are OK with walking down stairs adn a slightly rocky entrance, you'll be ok. The surge was a bit challenging in a couple of places to get balanced and get fins on, but entries were generally good. Cirkewwa steps were OK in my experience.

There are lots of Dive Ops in Malta, we used Divewise / Techwise, and were very impressed with their logistics and set up. It made diving pretty easy for us, and the staff were very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable, we will be returning.

Rich

Here's a pretty extensive overview of dive sites in Malta and Gozo. It contains all kinds of dives: shallow and deep, wrecks and reefs, shore dives, and boat dives. With handy filters too...

This is my thought process exactly, I plan on getting as much in as I can and hopefully get that advanced cert so I can do more than shore dive. A tech cert IS the end goal, but I doubt that can be accomplished over one summer so I will have to settle for what I get.
The main difference with other countries is that Malta still requires OW level divers to be accompanied by an instructor. AOW and above, you could rent tanks and could go diving on your own.
The vast majority of all Maltese dive sites are shore dives. With a 4WD you can get anywhere.

If you're still in the planning stage: I can accommodate up to 4 divers, however I'm based on Gozo. Tell me what you want to see and I'll take you there. Easy dives with stingrays, octopus en seahorses, cavern dives with and without overhead, or the deeper stuff like Double Arch and the famous MV Karwela. Sea temperatures around September are 24C at 30m to 29C at the surface. So bring a wetsuit.

I'm just back from Malta last weekend, and it is mainly shore diving. If you are OK with walking down stairs adn a slightly rocky entrance, you'll be ok. The surge was a bit challenging in a couple of places to get balanced and get fins on, but entries were generally good. Cirkewwa steps were OK in my experience.

There are lots of Dive Ops in Malta, we used Divewise / Techwise, and were very impressed with their logistics and set up. It made diving pretty easy for us, and the staff were very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable, we will be returning.

Rich
Funny, I just left Malta this morning. Despite the minimal amount of divers currently on the islands, we didn't run into eachother.

If you're still in the planning stage: I can accommodate up to 4 divers, however I'm based on Gozo. Tell me what you want to see and I'll take you there. Easy dives with stingrays, octopus en seahorses, cavern dives with and without overhead, or the deeper stuff like Double Arch and the famous MV Karwela. Sea temperatures around September are 24C at 30m to 29C at the surface. So bring a wetsuit.
Thank you! Although I myself am most interested in the war wrecks I know for certain my friend and I are definitely planning on seeing Gozo, and he is definitely more interested in seeing some wildlife, so doing some diving as well would be awesome while we are there.
Although I have already emailed a few places, I have not heard back from anyone, so I really appreciate your initiative and you will absolutely hear from us as the dates draw closer!

Back
Top Bottom